News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PRC - unknown and dubious

Ed_Haynes

While I hope this becomes a thread for identifying mystery PRC awards (that do not appear in the two standard references -- Illustrated Collection of Badges in the Chinese People's Revolutionary Military Museum and that "other book," small, softback, all-Chinese, something about "Zhong Guo Hui Zhang" -- of which cannot readily be found in those books), I guess we could also "chew on" the fantasy, "mule" medals that frequently appear on e$cam to frustrated PRC medal collectors.

1- Tentative ID as "Jilin Province Merit Medal" - dated 1961

Guest Rick Research

Is the soldier on the right (as viewed) a woman (hair), or a male figure with earflaps pulled down?

If a woman, I can't imagine that this was for Korean War "volunteers" --never heard of female soldiers being sent there for combat.

All would be revealed if only we could read Chinese, but all I can manage are the numbers and characters for dates.

Here is my earlier contribution to this Lore Of The Unknown, the uncatalogued Korean War period Shanghai Air Defense Order, which I am happily able to provide the award document for as well as a period portrait photo in Soviet military wear:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2337&hl=Shanghai

Closeup attached.

Doesn't look like a woman to me, but the work is pretty crude. As a good friend in Shainghai is very proud that her mother was killed in Korea fighting the Americans in what she described to me as a "Pork Chop Hill" kind of action, . . . .

I would guess, given the iconography of the day, that this is a North Korean and Chinese soldier (of ambiguous gender), united in their opposition to American imperialism (or whatever).

I have sent scans to friends in China, but they are not very rigorous in reading e-mail. And our usual visiting professor from China didn't come this year. Since I also have a couple of boxes of those (marginal to us) "Mao Pins" I want translated, . . . !

I would guess this is one of that plethora or provincial Korean War medals/badges, and as it was numbered it was apparently one that someone took seriously enough to list out.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 17 years later...

Dear Gentlemen,

Why dubious? Those two medals are from the Jilin Branch of the Chinese People's Federation.

image.jpeg.37212e112fb3744267f1b789c651c2b3.jpeg

image.jpeg.7a8f3c706cf9af18f1742d8e0db3e2eb.jpeg

As for "Model Recuperator" I'm not sure what it means or who they are.

And "Jilin Provincial People's Committee Award"

image.jpeg.5dfe201dceba31b22f89a80654ca0d3c.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

Yours sincerely,

No one