News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crashed Scottish Spitfires

Evening chaps

Today i was given 13rounds and part of a section of chain/belt from a Spitfire that crashed in 1941 in Lock Doon, Dunfries and Galloway (Photos to follow).

The Spitfire crashed in the Loch on 25th October 1941. It was a Spitfire Mark IIA registered No P7540 and was part of Ayr Squadron. The Spitfire had been piloted by a young Czechoslovakian on his first solo flight.

This is the only information i have thus far. Does anyone know anymore?

Dan

Super fast reply there Colin!

Where did that picture come from? It does look like a pilots badge. Can you post a close up?

Thanks, Dan

Hey Dan it came from the link you posted :whistle: click on "Photos of the Spitfire today", then it's about 6 other "Next" pics along.

C

• 3 weeks later...

Evening chaps

Today i was given 13rounds and part of a section of chain/belt from a Spitfire that crashed in 1941 in Lock Doon, Dunfries and Galloway (Photos to follow).

The Spitfire crashed in the Loch on 25th October 1941. It was a Spitfire Mark IIA registered No P7540 and was part of Ayr Squadron. The Spitfire had been piloted by a young Czechoslovakian on his first solo flight.

This is the only information i have thus far. Does anyone know anymore?

Dan

Spitfire P7540 Loch Doon

Spitfire MK IIA P7540 of 312 Czech Squadron EAF was lost on October 25, 1941, when it crashed into Loch Doon.

The aircraft was on a training flight from RAF Ayr and flying low over the water of the loch when the pilot is reported to have banked the aircraft with the result that the wing tip contacted the surface of the loch, catching the aircraft and causing it to crash. The RAF searched the loch, but no trace was found of the pilot or his aircraft. The aircraft was being flown by F/O František Hekl, (age unknown), RAFVR. F/O Hekl's name is engraved on the Runnymede Memorial, Panel 30. His body was never recovered from the loch.

Little more info for you Dan,

Regards Eddie

• 10 months later...

You would think a Scottish Spitfire would be the rarest of the rare....

"Ye kannae crash yer bluidy Spitfire Laddie! They cost MONEY!" :whistle:

Hahaha - its a good point Chris!

However, to be fair to our sporran-wearing neighbours, it was a very generous Scotsman that gave me the rounds in the first place.....

Edited by FrontlineAntiques

Spitfire P7540 Loch Doon

The aircraft was being flown by F/O František Hekl, (age unknown), RAFVR. F/O Hekl's name is engraved on the Runnymede Memorial, Panel 30. His body was never recovered from the loch.

Hekl's date of birth was January 24, 1915, making him just 26 when he was killed.

I wonder if this book would help any further with your research?

312 Czechoslovak Squadron1940-1945 Hurricane, Spitfire.

byToma Polak

Publisher: Philedition

Published: 15 August 2008

ISBN-10: 2952638152

ISBN-13: 978-2952638159

Format: 96p, 24.2 cm by 16.6cm

Cover: Paperback

Language: English

Price: £15.99

Regards Eddie

post-2793-025618000 1287905829_thumb.jpg

Edited by Taz

Hekl's date of birth was January 24, 1915, making him just 26 when he was killed.

HEKL František, F/O, Pilot, 310 Sqd – † 25/10/41, aged 26, Missing after training flight in Spitfire DU-W. P7540.

post-2793-066553200 1287906148_thumb.jpg