News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thanks for all the instructive and interesting comments from the first Boer War album I posted - My link - please educate me with your comments about this next one, which comes, mostly, from 1901, and which belonged to my grandfather. The album is just over 5" wide, and the photos 3" wide.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by rusticalex

Fabulous - a pleasure to view and count yourself as very, very lucky.

I suspect the flash on the pagree of their foreign service helmets is a cut down scarlet shoulder strap and will have the title "SEAFORTHS" in white worsted cotton upon it. Hopefully someone will have a list of the other companies making up the 18th Bn, Mounted Infantry.

Alex

Regarding the first photo, my understanding is that a portmanteau is or was a form of leather travelling trunk. I cannot imagine a regular soldier being in possession of one so perhaps a Commanding Officers or used for storing Battalion documents.

Another excellent piece from your collection by the way, please keep them coming.

Simon :cheers:

Regarding the first photo, my understanding is that a portmanteau is or was a form of leather travelling trunk. Simon :cheers:

That's correct: a leather trunk. The 'orange' tinge to the photos is not uncommon in older photos and is a result of the photographic chemicals - never completely washed out of the paper - breaking down over time. A skilled photographic conservator might be able to retore them but, sadly, the price would likely be prohibitive. A fascinating collection of what Kipling called "the small change" of a soldier's life. Thank you for sharing it!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Alex - another most interesting set - unfortunately it will not have the same value as the first one. The subjects are more of a personal nature and are not showing any battle or, prisoner scenes. The discolouration of the photos, is as Peter has explained. One of the reasons I said to keep your first album away from light.

The portmanteaux - again as Simon has said - was carriied by officer's - or, rather their batman - for their clothing and personal effects. They would be carried either side of a mule - or, in a waggon. The termite damage is to the bottom and they would have come-up through the ground where the luggage was standing. They are quite voracious and this damage could have occured overnight. Look at Post 4 and you will see what the bag looked like - it is standing on the left inside the tent.

The Cape cart was typical of the period and could carry two people + luggage. I think it was one pony, but could be drawn by two. May have been used with the Regt. to carry a paymaster or, the Dr. ? Interestingly, it looks like an issue Lee Metford leaning against the tailboard.

Belfast was the site of a famous battle and a clasp for BELFAST was issued for the QSA. Both Belfast and Dulstroom are still active towns. I think Belfast is connected with mining - but, I'm sure Brett can put me right on that.

'Commandeered' means that British troops had taken it from a Boer Farm. Because this was a battle area and the Commandos would have been returning to the farms at night, this became an area where the women and children were sent to 'concentration camps' and the farms burned. This was Kitchener's policy and it was a terrible act, which 'blackened' the British name.

I shall look forward to seeing more of these albums - I do hope you do have more ?

'Commandeered' means that British troops had taken it from a Boer Farm. Because this was a battle area and the Commandos would have been returning to the farms at night, this became an area where the women and children were sent to 'concentration camps' and the farms burned. This was Kitchener's policy and it was a terrible act, which 'blackened' the British name.

I shall look forward to seeing more of these albums - I do hope you do have more ?

I found this website the other day My link, and the 'gallery of shame' made me realise just what an appalling war this was, or at least the behaviour of the decision makers, and the manipulation of certain characters (sorry admin if I am not supposed to put links to other websites). I wonder about my grandfather's and uncle's part in it, but guess, just like all wars, they were just pawns in it all doing their bit for crown and country. I am very naive about the politics so intend to further educate myself. I am learning all the time via this fabulous forum.

I have 2 more Boer albums (I will save the best until last, 'cos that's the kind of guy I am!), and one from Comino. I also have lots of loose photos, which I'll post at some stage.

Alex

Alex - I don't really feel that that your album posts are the right place to discuss the 'politics' and tactics of the Boer War. Unless it is by common consent and everyone treads very carefully. Rather like the past in Ireland and Ulster, people here in Sth. Africa still have very strong feelings on the subject. To really take an in-depth look at the subject, extensive research is required - there are no quick explanations that could satisfy everyone and it would detract from the more superficial aspect of the excellent and informative photographs.

Alex - I don't really feel that that your album posts are the right place to discuss the 'politics' and tactics of the Boer War. Unless it is by common consent and everyone treads very carefully. Rather like the past in Ireland and Ulster, people here in Sth. Africa still have very strong feelings on the subject. To really take an in-depth look at the subject, extensive research is required - there are no quick explanations that could satisfy everyone and it would detract from the more superficial aspect of the excellent and informative photographs.

I quite agree Mervyn. I will continue to let the photographs tell their story. Should I move the link in my previous post?

Alex

I'd leave the link, & current discussion seems appropriate as it's taking place in the "Wars & Campaigns" section. The only drawback is that we veer off topic from the photo album, but then we often do move off topic in threads in the "British Empire" forums, & not to our loss.

I'not "Club Host" re. this sub-forum,by the way.

• 2 weeks later...