News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awesome finds! I am a huge fan of all destroyer badges!! Yours is a beauty!

Hey Paul,

If you like that one, you will probably appreciate seeing this other JFS Destroyer Badge from my collection. I have had this one since the early 80s and it still retains its original finish.

Best regards,

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful Document and interesting story on the fact that he was issued a Demeur and later opted/spent for the more expensive schwerin model. Really specatcular and wonderful when it is attributed to relatives and family members. Really superb.

Regards,

JustinG

2dresq

• 5 months later...

Hi to all, I’m new to this forum…I have a few Third Reich awards which I’ve acquired over the years; however, researching them on the net always raises more questions than answers regarding authenticity! In a bit to draw some conclusions I’m keen to know what other members think of the following badge, particularly those who actually own JFS manufactured Destroyer badges.

I would also be interested if anyone has any accurate info on manufacturing processes and finishing treatments of such badges.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Greg,

from the images you have provided i think you have a very nice original zinc badge by JFS,(Joseph Feix & Sohn,Gablonz).

These badges have been faked over the years but IMO you have a good original that retains most of it's original gilt finish.

I had a super example of one these badges some years ago,alas i no longer have it. They are die struck in zinc with fine detail and like your example the gilt finish held up very well.

Regarfs,Martin.

Thanks Martin,

I’ve seen other zinc Kriegsmarine badges in varying degrees of grey, some light to quite dark, do you know why there is such a variation, is it just down to age or was the bare zinc sometimes treated/washed with a coating to finish them off?

The destroyer on my badge appears quite dark in the hand, with some wear to the high points revealing lighter zinc underneath.

Hi Greg,

i think these zinc badges were treated/oxidised that gave gave the non-gilded areas of certain badges a dark hue.

As with the JFS Destroyer the "dark" finish can be seen on the globe of this late war Foerster & Barth Hilfskreuzer award in zinc.

This dark finish can also be found on the globes of R.S and F.O zinc HK awards.

Regards,Martin.

Regards,Martin.

Just one last thing about this badge…. I’ve spotted a feature running along the edge which appears to be a split or crevice in the zinc. I’m guessing this is a fault formed as a result of the manufacturing process?

Has this been seen before on period badges and is it accepted that it maybe encountered on some original zinc badges?

Thanks again.

• 9 years later...
    On 17/08/2009 at 21:29, Martin W said:

Nice badge Richard.I used to have a tombak Wound badge in silver with the exact same hinge.From what i recall it was attributed to Deumer?

Still,a good looking and uncommon badge IMO.

Regards,Martin.

Hi Martin,

I am looking at a WW 1 award with the same hinge set-up, and would like to know what the source is for attribution to Deumer???

Regards, 

Chuck 

2 hours ago, chuck said:

Hi Martin,

I am looking at a WW 1 award with the same hinge set-up, and would like to know what the source is for attribution to Deumer???

Regards, 

Chuck 

Hi Cuck,

i do not have the badge anymore but i posted it another forum many years ago and the more knowledgable members in regards to Wound Badges declared it to be a Deumer Product.

Regards,Martin.

• 4 weeks later...
    On 13/09/2012 at 20:19, Gregg78 said:

Just one last thing about this badge…. I’ve spotted a feature running along the edge which appears to be a split or crevice in the zinc. I’m guessing this is a fault formed as a result of the manufacturing process?

Has this been seen before on period badges and is it accepted that it maybe encountered on some original zinc badges?

post-14467-0-42863700-1347560267.jpg

Thanks again.

Hi, such dissection of the zinc on the edges most likely occurred as a result of stamping with a trimming die.