News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

We know that the firms of Mayer, Zimmermann and Schickle were linked in some way as their U-Boat badges are near clones of each other as far as obverse die characteristics are concerned, only minor differences in finishing/ fittings differentiate them.

Well, the destroyers for these firms are absolutely identical too. Here's a comparison shot of Schickle, Zimmermann and Mayer.

Mayer badge from Skip Burtonshaw collection, Zimmermann from Jan Arne Straete

• 1 month later...

My first post!

Thank you Gordon intresting information .

I have I been looking for information regarding my unmarked badge.

The only difference I see on the obverse except for the obvious maker mark is the badges in the middle seems to have a square catch correct?

Then my badge would be either a L15 or a L18 no possibility to tell the diffrence?

In Tuckers book there is a Destroyer that looks like it would fit in with this group and that is the L21 marked destroyer but I might be missing something.

/Bjorn

Edited by Berra

Hello Bjorn,

Welcome to GMIC !

My opinion is that you most likely have a nice early unmarked badge by Schickle. Schickle sometimes used the flat, square catch also, the L/18 marked Mayer Destroyer badge usually has a square flat catch instead of like this with a round catch. Not impossible for it to be a Mayer, but I would say most likely yours is a Schickle.

Very lucky find, as Schickle badges are rare, certainly rarer than Mayer.

I know of the badge in Tuckers book. The badge itself is certainly genuine but I am not convinced about the L/21 mark.

And I will add this one from my collection. It could be a Shickle or Mayer, not really sure. Nice badge once again Bjorn. Note the stammrollen number on the reverse, meaning his assigned number to this particular destroyer (unknown destroyer) crew. John

Edited by John Robinson

Hi John,

I'd say yours is most likely a Mayer.

As we know, when Schickle ceased production in 1941, their tooling was sold off by the local chamber of commerce (Handelskammer). I believe that Mayer (who of course were located in the same area) purchased at least some of that tooling including the Destroyer badge, hence the absolutely identical die characteristics. It seems likely if this is the case, that supplies of fittings (pins etc) were also acquired hence early Mayer pieces having the same pin fittings as Schickle pieces.

The pin fittings on yours are exactly the same as can be found on some later Mayer pieces including the Zinc version of the "Mayer/Zimmermann/Schickle" style U-Boat badge indicating, to me, the likelyhood of yours being an early tombak Mayer but after the Schickle style pin fittings had been exhausted.

• 4 months later...

Just picked up a nice tombac Destroyer Badge. Unfortunately it's been de-nazified and suffered minor damage, probably from being held in a vice while the swastika was filed off. Other than that it's a beauty and the photo doesn't do it justice. I don't know who the maker is but found another with the same design and reverse side hardware in my database.

Richard

• 3 months later...

I just received this nice studio portrait of the Destroyer badge in wear.I think an intersting combination of the grey uniform,the Destroyer badge and what appears to be Torpedo mechanic insignia on the shoulder tabs.A nice crisp photo that shows the detailed Destroyer badge.

Regards,Martin.