News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Find differences :)

• Replies 313
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am betting that in a few cases a firm in (lets say) London makes awards for a few countries.

As some of these are multi part medals, if they can use the same dies to 80% to make a medal from country XXX and country YYY... they try and get the designs amended to suit their needs.

Nice comparisons!

Best

Chris

I am betting that in a few cases a firm in (lets say) London makes awards for a few countries.

As some of these are multi part medals, if they can use the same dies to 80% to make a medal from country XXX and country YYY... they try and get the designs amended to suit their needs.

Nice comparisons!

Best

Chris

You're right. I am of the same opinion. But I'm sure it isn't only "London's case". What about this couple France-Armenia?

• 8 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Very interesting thread.

I think that from a commercial/manufacturing point of view it makes sense to offer to use common dies and then change enamelling and central medallion. That way the 'extra die costs' are only for the central medallion. Its like wearing the same colour shirt with a different tie.

This is someting that would not be possible in the case of ODMs that are of single piece construction.

As for the post above, common ideology, rather than common dies are evidently the reason for the similarity.

Keep them coming!!!

Jim :cheers:

Very interesting thread.

I think that from a commercial/manufacturing point of view it makes sense to offer to use common dies and then change enamelling and central medallion. That way the 'extra die costs' are only for the central medallion. Its like wearing the same colour shirt with a different tie.

This is someting that would not be possible in the case of ODMs that are of single piece construction.

As for the post above, common ideology, rather than common dies are evidently the reason for the similarity.

Keep them coming!!!

Of course, when we are talking about the communist leaders Kim and Dimitrov, the ideological similarity is obvious,

but Alexander the First was the KING of Yugoslavia :whistle:

Anyway Jim, thank for your kind words :beer:

Of course, when we are talking about the communist leaders Kim and Dimitrov, the ideological similarity is obvious,

but Alexander the First was the KING of Yugoslavia :whistle:

Anyway Jim, thank for your kind words :beer:

True, but that did not mean he did not have certain political leanings :-) ... or at worst was just lacking imagination.

You do know the all those medals are the 'sons' of papa lenin (Tractor Lenin or Type 1)

(picture source: wikipedia)

..... which was instituted as early as April1930....

Guess you have a fourth one to add on now.... (and surprised you could have missed the father of them all) ;)

Edited by JimZ

You are totally right. Moreover, this archetype (something encircled by a cereal wreath) is usual for Soviet and communist heraldry - from the very first Soviet order of the Red Banner and all types of the Soviet coat-of-arms

By the way, there were the numerous unrealized (or unofficial) projects of the Soviet orders based on this principle. For example:

Infact the Durov book for the order of Lenin shows several of the designs that never made it to the mint.

Again...very interesting thread. I will be following this :)