News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Military Academy Badge

Picked this up recently, with Kevin Ryan's help (Thanks, Kevin!). A late model Military Academy badge. This would be worn, above the right pocket, by senior officers upon completion of studies at the National Military Academy. Bronze and enamel with a full closure pin back.

Edited by Greg Collins

• 3 months later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2010/post-950-12697079696.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2010/post-950-126970770286.jpg

And here is General Colonel Milea Vasile, the last Defense Minister of the RSR,

actual Academy Badge complete with red backing material and his medal ribbon bar that was worn on the jacket at the time of his suicide.

The actual military jacket he wore at the time of his death resides in the Romanian Military Museum.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 9 months later...

Well, at last... at long last... I was able to snag one of these; an RPR Military Academy badge!!! This is actually the second type of RPR badge (still looking for a first type), and is the type worn in Kevin's post #5. Note the RPR on the banner in the detail image. The lower left arm of the star appears to be missing enamel- it isn't, some air invasion has darkened it.

post-7004-093313200 1295139634_thumb.jpg

post-7004-026198400 1295139717_thumb.jpg

Just adding a few pictures of items in my possession:-

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-950-0-94085000-1295542734.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-950-0-04349700-1295542753.jpg

This badge was worn by a Romanian Lt-col of the Engineers,

a man known to me personally.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-950-0-02935100-1295542891.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-950-0-81875100-1295542989.jpg

A period repair to the screw and not an indication of a convert from broach fastening.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

I've often wondered if the cloisonne seals were outsourced by the State Mint... there always seem to be colour differences in the wreath, the sun and the blue of the sky. I have three Patriotic Guard beret emblems all of which have a decidedly different look. Your Academy badges also make me wonder at what point it was decided to go to a pin back rather than a screw back.

By the way, Kevin, let's go back to the photo in your post #5. Do you happen to know what award is pictured above this gentleman's Academy badges? I can't quite figure it out.

Edited by Greg Collins

By the way, Kevin, let's go back to the photo in your post #5. Do you happen to know what award is pictured above this gentleman's Academy badges? I can't quite figure it out.

That's very interesting photo, I didn't noticed the badge until you mentioned it. It's the badge for the Nicolae Filipescu Military High school which was probably the most prestigious inter-war military high school. It's strange that he was wearing the badge with the Royal crown in the early 60's.

Thanks, Boonicootza! :cheers: One thing about wearing awards/badges that were given by a prior government is that it shows a certain degree of experience and professionalism in soldiering, rather than simply being an "appointee" of the folks currently in charge. I also notice that the ribbon in the last place seems to be the Soviet Victory Over Germany ribbon, so it's safe to say he was on the right side.

Hallo Gents, :beer:

just two comments if I may, a certain friend of mine who was an officer in the Romanian military during the Communist period and too whom I showed this picture made a comment with regards the wearing of two Academy Badges, he said "Securitate for sure."

My other comment is, looking at the position of the Order on the left breast above the medal ribbons and the "N.F." High School badge on the right, could it be the photo was doctored postmortem to add in these items?

I will try and locate the original picture and magnify for more detail, failing that I will have to locate and make a better picture on my annual pilgrimage to Bucharest in March.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Greg, :beer:

I will be talking to the gentleman in question in about 6 weeks on my visit to Bucharest for the Annual St. Patrick's Day function organised by the Irish Embassy.

I managed to crop the picture for a better view of the Insignia:-

His shoulder boards have the insignia for an Engineer (GENIU).

• 5 weeks later...

I don`t think that "Sometimes two is better than one!" is fair, because there are several types of RPR academy badges.

Maybe someone could help us out with some pics. I`m so sorry I didn`t snap one when I saw this nice frame with all of the RPR & post commi ones.

(at least the retired officer that was selling them at the Brasov trade said it was complete).

I don`t think that "Sometimes two is better than one!" is fair, because there are several types of RPR academy badges.

Maybe someone could help us out with some pics. I`m so sorry I didn`t snap one when I saw this nice frame with all of the RPR & post commi ones.

(at least the retired officer that was selling them at the Brasov trade said it was complete).

My comment "Sometimes two is better than one!" is not meant to be smart-assed but a comment on how rarely, if ever, you get to see two such badges being worn on a uniform.

• 4 weeks later...