News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm afraid the quality of some of these photos is pretty poor, and I have left a few out for that reason, but hopefully there are enough of interest for you to enjoy. The album is 6" wide, and the photos 3" wide. I have one Boer album left now, and that is the best, in my eyes, by a long, long way in terms of both quality and content. I'll try to get it on here over the weekend - it is definitely worth a look!!

Thanks

Alex

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2009/post-8375-125987839624.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2009/post-8375-125987841367.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2009/post-8375-125987842286.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Alex

Alex - another fascinating look at the past. A great shame that the 'ravages' of time have caused such discolouration.

Most of the photos have clear descriptions - so, I will not add a great deal - however, a few notes may be helpful.

The mention of the word 'Kaffirs', would today be considered very offensive. However, it's origins come from the Eastern Cape and the 1820 Settlers - the area above Port Elizabeth and East London became known as British Kaffraria and the people living there as 'Kaffirs' - this was descriptive of the area and not meant to be an insult.

One picture shows an 'outspan' of oxen. It took 8 oxen to pull a waggon - they would only move for a few hours in the day - and so, the speed of a convoy was controlled by the oxen. They could only turn in an arc and the width of early streets was dictated by the area it took for a waggon and 8 oxen to turn around. Most main streets in South Africa are very wide because of this. I am told oxen will not 'back-up' - however, not being familiar with the back end of an ox, I can't say for sure !!

The picture of the Hotchkiss Maxim is one of the best I have seen and it is a pity it has faded. It clearly shows the upright feeder for the shells - very similar to that for a 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft. Each shell weighed 1 pound ( the head ) and could be explosive or, solid shot. They have lovely brass cases and many people collect them. Both the British and Boers had them as mobile weapons - although, as can be seen, they are not small. The word 'Pom-Pom' came from the sound - as the handle was turned and they fired - it went pom - pom - pom (etc...)(Had another look - I think perhaps it is a canvas belt feed ?)

The Boer War was fought in two parts. Up to the end of August 1900 was the time of set battles and sieges - after the Battle of Belfast or, Berg-en-dal (the farm it was fought-on) the Boer Forces dispersed and took to Commando Warfare. Many historians believe this to have been a bad mistake - it took away their opportunity to negotiate and caused much un-necessary loss of life and suffering. However, both sides had their own decisions to make. The Battle of Belfast was fought between the 21 and 27 August 1900 and a clasp was issued for the Queen's South Africa Medal 'BELFAST'.

The Battle of Belfast - whilst important, did not have high losses for either side. The Boer unit fighting was the Zuid Afrikaans Republic Police - they only had about 70 men defending a hill or, Kopje, and lost some 20 killed and - I think 19 or, 20 taken prisoner. The British had about 1500 men storming the hill and lost ( I looked this-up) 3 Officers and 12 o/r's killed and 100 wounded.

Total numbers involved were 5000 Boers , under General Loius Botha ( a highly respected man) and about 20,000 British , under General Sir Redvers Buller. He earnt his VC in the 1879 Zulu War - but failed to distinguish himself in the battles to relieve the Siege of Ladysmith. As often seemed to happen with our generals, they were always one war behind in tactics.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 4 months later...

A better version of my grandfather with his mail, mare and pony, from another copy of the same photo...

This is an interesting picture! The jacket seems very close to the Jacket I've been trying to identify worn by my great great uncle who was in the Scottish Horse in the Boer war. Darkened buttons, double pockets etc!

Alex

I thought I would touch up one of your pics to show what can be done with your 'yellow' pictures. I took 5 minutes to do this but a professional could do better, I recommend making copies and having them refurbed like this one before they fade even more - even better - refurb them and self print them in a blurb book for the future!

ce940799.jpg

Edited by fallschirmjager

Brilliant - the 'pom-pom' is startling in it's detail now. Which programme do you use ? I will give you some further details on Scottish Horse when I can find a local S.A. history that I have mislaid.

Mervyn

Just plain old fashioned photoshop that is about 10 years old now!!! But I think pretty much any photo editing software will do but I know photoshop is the dogs bits! A professional would do what I've done but they would retake the initial photograph better and spend more time on each picture and remeber my were optimised for the web so more detail is lost but for print you dont need to do this!

Look forward to aything on the SH, I want to put a website together on them!

Just picked up a QSA for Scottish Horse today, so quite excited!!

Mike

The mention of the word 'Kaffirs', would today be considered very offensive. However, it's origins come from the Eastern Cape and the 1820 Settlers - the area above Port Elizabeth and East London became known as British Kaffraria and the people living there as 'Kaffirs' - this was descriptive of the area and not meant to be an insult.

Agreed that the word wasn't necessarily meant to be offensive as used 'back in the day' [to quote my students]. It originally came from Arabic and was picked up by the Europeans from Arab slavers, who used it to refer to their captives. The literal translation is 'unbeliever' or, as Hollywood would have it, 'infidel'. So, as used by Arabs both offensive and descriptive, but for others merely the latter.

:off topic: My wife was friends with some Pakistani Muslim students when we lived overseas [Nigeria] and one used 'kaffir' of his roommate, who never made it out of bed for the pre-dawn prayers. Acceptable from a friend, fighting words from anyone else. She also learned - and nearly caused a coronary by repeating - the word generations of Tommies serving in India rendered as 'barnshoot'. Again, used 'affectionately' but in reality the same as a compound English word that almost rhymes with 'mother's trucker'. :blush:

Here endeth the lesson. Sorry - its the teacher in me! :rolleyes:

Peter - that' very interesting - I had no idea it had an Arabic origin. I will remember this for the future.

Details for Scottish Horse. This is from Major Tylden's important ref. book on South African units. Not an easy book to find.

Interesting article, many thanks! Some of this could easily be misinterpreted such as the bit about mainly australians in the second regiment and the volunteers white flash - this is a post Boer war description, there were several badge versions during the Boer War and the flash was tartan! But good to read so any more would be helpful! What is the full title of the book I think it will be useful to have! All good stuff! Many thanks!

I think I may start a Scottish Horse thread, do you think there would be appetite for this?

mike

Edited by fallschirmjager