News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

E11R Diamond Jubilee 2012

• 4 weeks later...
    • Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basis of awarding the jubilee medals has changed completely in the UK since the Queen's silver jubilee. In 1977 the medal was awarded to both cilivians and service personnel. For example people like town mayors were awarded the 1977 Jubilee Medal. However in 2002 the medal was awarded only to service personnel (full and part time) and members of the emergency services etc (police, ambulance, fire & rescue, coastguard, prison officers), the qualification being that they had at least five years service at a specific date in 2002. An almost identical approach is being taken for 2012. So it is highly unlikely that retired service / police personnel will be awarded the medal.

The only exceptions seem to be holders of the VC or GC will received the Diamond Jubilee Medal as will members of the Royal Household.

The question of a bar is interesting - I think the ring suspender on the 2002 medal make that a less attractive option, remembering also the 1897 bar for the jubilee medal (police issue) was actually attached to the medal via the ribbon pin on the suspender.

• 1 month later...

We have now reached the point at which the minatures of the new jubilee medal can now be worn.

I was given this group to 'update' with the latest minature and hopefully will have the full size medals to re-mount shortly. Interesting group and yes the Bronze Star is in the London Gazette.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has just returned from a group meeting she goes to. Their speaker this afternoon was a Yeoman of the Guard, ie a member of the Queen's Body Guard. He had his tunic and medals there (but is not allowed to actually wear his uniform unless he is on duty). My wife took some photos and it showed that he had the QGJM (plus GMS Northern Ireland, ACSM and Army LS&GC).

He told the meeting he has already received his Diamond Jubilee Medal - on 6th February - but is not permitted to actually wear it until June.

Unfortunately he didn't bring that medal with him otherwise I would be posting a photo of it here.

All eligible persons (as of the 6th Feb) can wear the medal ribbon and miniature from the 7th Feb, no medals can be worn until the official celebrations starts on the 5th June. I would be surprised if he had his medal already, as only top brass and members of the Royal Household will be likely to get theirs prior to the event (and if the Golden Jubilee is anything to go by it will be days before, not weeks). But they may have actually got their act together this time round ?

I was speaking to a senior fire officer a couple of days ago, who was in his 'service dress' tunic with the Golden Jubilee & Fire Long Service ribbons up. He said that the Diamond Jubilee ribbon would not be added until he actually got the medal. Not sure if that was personal preference or Fire Service policy, though.

• 2 months later...

I had an opportunity to snap this yesterday. Seems as though the powers that be have got their act together this time. Unlike the Golden Jubilee the Diamond Jubilee medal has been issued prior to the official date of wearing. The ribbon can be worn already but the medal cannot be worn until the procession on the 5th June. No certificate or ribbon off cut with the box this time.

I may have to wait for mine as no one has bothered to order ours from the powers that be. I've got my ribbon up on my tunic though I will soon look like a Russian General ( Only 3 )

How nice to see an acceptable Head/Crown ratio....

Foe some reason it has always bugged me how over the years the crown had grown bigger and bigger on succesive medals, until it looked as if someone was balancing a Volkswagen beetle on a water mellon.

Best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

my wife got hers 2 weeks ago, she is a paramedic.

I am still waiting for mine, I am a community first responder.

There is much arguments in the ambulance service as to why us CFR's are getting it as we are volunteers whereas the full time staff who work for PTS and the control room are not getting it.

As i pointed out to some we also answer to 999 calls albeit in our villages whereas the PTS crews dont.

I have contacted HR and they have told me it has been sent to my ambulance officer in charge so am waiting for her to presnet it to me.

It will look nice next to my Golden jubilee medal.

james

Replicas often lack the detailing of the originals, the Golden Jubilee medal replicas are often easy to spot as the hair on the queens head just does not look right. But until you get it in hand it is often hard to tell from photos.