News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this Ferdinand Marcos?

No, this is Thai.

This is a Five Baht Coin (Baht 5).

Obverse : H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Reverse: The Marble Temple - WAT BENCHAMABOPHIT

Ch.

Thanks Chris, bit disapointed its not a Marcos coin, but oh well. Just out of interest did Thes Marcos`s mint any coins with their imagaine on?

Just a little extra comment - which may interest some of the coin and banknote collectors. I lived in Bangkok from 1960 to 1964 and received this One Baht ( previously known as a Tical) note in change. King Bhumipol's Father died at the end of WW2 and his Brother became King - however, he was murdered very shortly afterwards by communist agitators. Bhumipol - ascended the Throne , but he was a young boy , as you can see in his portrait and a Regent held power until he was old enough. I think this happened in 1946, but I am open to correction. From this early and inauspicious beginning, it makes it even more remarkable that he has lived for so long - and , both he and his wife, are very highly regarded by the Thai people.

• 2 weeks later...

Marcos was the virtual dictator of the Republic of the Philippines when I was making frequent port calls there during my Navy days (martial law, curfews all the time). To my knowledge, there are no coins or bills bearing his image. The one image that appears frequently on currency there is of Jose Rizal, a noted patriot of Philippine independence.

The Philippines has a national language, Tagalog, along with nearly as many dialects as there are islands (about 260). The two major bases there during my time were Olongapo (Navy- Subic Bay) and Clark AFB (Angeles City). While the lingo in Olongapo was Tagalog, the tongue-of-choice at Clark was Pamangan as Angeles City was in the province of Pampanga. But, no matter which dialect was written, they all used the same alphabet we do. Also, the currency is called "peso" but is written "piso".

Edited by Greg Collins