News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Roll of Honour

Information does appear to be some what scant with regards to the Arab Revolt of 1936-39, especially with regards to casualty figures. Perhaps it might help if we knew which Regiments served there, I know that the 2nd Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment served during this period, however, sadly there is no information with regards to any casualties on the Regimental website that I could see. I`m in no doubt that all the Corps would have had soldiers there, might be worth trying that avenue?

Found this, thought it might assist....

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/Colonial_Police/Palestine/Palestine_Police_Roll.htm

Now taking into account that 200 Britains, are listed as being killed, during this period, the vast amount would appear to be Police Officers, so this would certainly account for the lack of details for Soldiers who were killed during this period. I might be sticking my neck out here, but it would certainly appear on the face of it that maybe none were killed?

Going back to my original thoughts about seeing what Regiments served over there during this period. I`ve found this...........

Roll of Honour - Palestine 1938 - 1939 - Worcestershire Regiment

This section provides details of all those men of the Worcestershire Regiment who gave their lives during action in Arab Revolt in Palestine (covers period 1938 to 1939).

In April 1936, riots broke out in Jaffa this was the beginning of a three-year period of violence and civil strife in Palestine that is known as the Arab Revolt. The Arab Higher Committee, headed by the Mufti Haj Amin al-Husseini, led the campaign of terrorism against Jewish and British targets. In August 1936 the British took military action against Arab terrorists following which there was a period of peace. However, by September 1937 the Arabs resumed their attacks. This campaign of violence continued through 1938 and then tapered off, ending in early 1939.

In September, 1938, the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, which was then stationed in Aldershot, received orders to move to Palestine. The Battalion landed at Haifa on the 26th September 1938, and the same day moved in Motor Transport down the coast road through Tel Aviv and Jaffa to Sarafand. The Battalion was given the task of maintaining public order and security in the Bethlehem and Hebron sub-districts , a task of some magnitude, involving, as it did, an area of some eight hundred square miles.

The Battalion had only been in Palestine 2 days when they suffered their first casualties, one of which was Private Hare who was seriously wounded at Beit Sahur, he died later in hospital.

At Bethlehem the Battalion was billeted in the monasteries adjoining the historic church of the Nativity.

The 1st Battalion eventually left Palestine at the end of August 1939 and set sail for action in Sudan.

Surname Forename/s Number Rank Location DOD Battalion Age

Darby Joseph 5251346 Pte. Jerusalem 07/09/1939 1st 20

Davidson John G. 4267767 Pte. Jerusalem 18/12/1938 1st 29

Dwyer Anthony 5250987 Pte. Al Walaja 11/10/1938 1st 20

Hare Bartle 5770527 Pte. Jerusalem ??/09/1938 1st 25

Hayes Charles G. 5249722 L/Cpl. Hebron 13/08/39 1st 22

Potter Harry 5251351 Pte. Jerusalem 22/07/1939 1st 19

Ryan Patrick Michael 5333597 Pte. Artuf 17/11/1938 1st 26

Notes: Pte. Darby, Pte. Davidson, Pte. Hare and L/Cpl. Hayes all died of wounds.

Private Harry Potter

On the evening of 22nd July 1939, D Company, returning from As Samu, engaged an armed band at Kilo 39 on the Hebron-Beersheba road. This gang had earlier ambushed an R.A.F. armoured car. During the engagement Private Harry Potter (5251351) was killed and Privates Darby, Warwick, Pearson and Simmonds were wounded. Private Joseph Darby later died of his wounds in hospital in Jerusalem on 7th September 1939.

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/roll_honour_palestine

and theres more

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/bat_1_1939

Edited by mariner

Out standing thanks!!!!!!!

Part of a doc found on the web,

According to Sachar there were 2,394 Jewish casualties, 620 British and 3,764 Arabs by August of 1939, when the revolt was essentially over.

No real breakdown of the casualities though, the British figures contain officials serving there at the time too i would imagine.

Regards Eddie

Part of a doc found on the web,

According to Sachar there were 2,394 Jewish casualties, 620 British and 3,764 Arabs by August of 1939, when the revolt was essentially over.

No real breakdown of the casualities though, the British figures contain officials serving there at the time too i would imagine.

Regards Eddie

620!!!!! Thats more than double the current Iraq & Afghanistan combined, outragous that theres no offical roll of honour available!!!!

There will be some from 1945-47 on the CWGC site. I suspect that to get a proper casualty roll one would need to go to Israel and look in the contemporary British-Palestine press archives or the Palestine Gazette which I would imagine would give details of casualties.

Paul