News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SHERLOCK HOLMES IN REAL LIFE

Ask anyone who Sherlock Holmes is and almost without fail they will say - ' the famous Victorian detective ' . Not everyone, however, realises that he is a fictional character created by the author - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Holmes was renowned - in every novel - for his brilliant observations and great deductive thought processes - but, where did the idea for this great detective come from ?

Well, he existed in real life - Jerome CAMINADA , Chief Inspector of Detectives for the Manchester Police in the 1870's. His exploits and arrests were reported in every paper and he was very well known and a great hero of his day - even Queen Victoria asked to meet him. Without doubt the most celebrated and renowned policeman of the 19th Century. We have no reason to doubt that he was the 'original thought' which led to the creation of Sherlock Holmes.

He wrote two books detailing his various cases and if you can get hold of a copy, they make fascinating reading - you realise that nothing is new ' where crime is concerned ' - people just keep finding different ways to re-hash the method.

For the past 30 years I have owned his gilt brass tipstaff - inscribed with his rank and name and dated 1876. There has always been interest to purchase this from me - however, I have only recently agreed to sell, plus the books, and thought it would be interesting to share his background with you. Tipstaffs and the heraldically painted truncheons are some of the rarest items in the collecting field of Police and their history can be traced back for over 800 years - without these pieces it was not possible for the early Constables, Magistrates and officials to effectively carry out their jobs. Always remember, that a pattern of sword or, pistol could be made in the thousands - but, a tipstaff or, truncheon might be the only one in existance.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 3 years later...

This is an old post - however, whilst looking through some old papers I came across this obituary for Caminada.

The publication it was-in was to publicize the Manchester Police Museum - I will post further items of interest in

the future. Having this with the original post gives a conclusion to his story.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-6209-0-74936000-1373895360.jpgclick