News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MUTINY MEDALS

Guest Darrell

Darrell,

Many thanks - the vendor had a tray full of assorted campaign medals - a treasure trove I am sure, but basically a run down silver shop in Chandni Chowk, but he had a 2007 copy of the Medal Year Book so was well aware of what he had and was wanting with very little flexibility 2007 prices plus some 10 to 15% for inflation! No bargains much to my disappointment. I was in a rush and thus could not stay more than 20 minutes. Only two other Mutiny medals - with single clasps for "Dehli" and "Central India" - one impresed to a Sepoy in the 4th (?) Punjab Regiment and the other engraved in running scrip to a local unit but fairly illegible.

Regards,

Owain

Guest Darrell

Owain,

I took a look in the rolls and I think I understand what the words mean. It appears there are no "John" Evans listed, but there are two "James" Evans. Note the (2) behind the name highlighted in a red rectangle. It's a little confusing for sure. Only the guy that made the first listed Roll would know for sure.

Dear Darrell,

Many thanks indeed for your efforts in this matter. It would appear that my purchase is of, dare one say, an "ordinary" example of this beautiful series of medals. Nonetheless I am sure that "John Evans" earned the medal and was no doubt proud of it. I will have to read up on the history of the 97th and see if I can track the elusive Evans through some other records. It has sparked my interest in this series and I may try and get the other two examples the vendor had for sale - at least issues with the clasps "Delhi" and "Central India" will be more economic that the "Defence of.." or "Relief of Lucknow"! Again thank you for your interest in this piece.

Kind regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme