News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 106
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there is more documentation, up through post-WWII. Let me do some sorting to try to weave this into a comprehensible tale of a wider family.

Watch this space.

As a historian, I mist say I find the survival of these papers, almost a century on, to be fascinating (as Mr. Spock used to say, and still says in global reruns).

Guest Rick Research

OK, ya wanna leapfrog and get some transcriptions in bit by bit?

Evil Ricky brought this bunch by my house so I've got most of the details, right through after WW2.

From post #16 on, this is for Pionier Richard Schwartz, of the 268th Pionrer Company, 17th Reserve Division.

#19-20 is from him to his fianc?e Auguste (Gusta) Babbe-- the light "got your letter" sort of thing that went back and forth.

#21-22 Gusta has learned that he has been wounded and is being brave, hoping he is getting better and wanting to hear from him. He has been moved, so this was forwarded from his initial hospital to where he ended up.

#23 the company's Feldwebel, Bohnert, dated "in the field July 1916" (they PROBABLY had so much going on he did not know what day it was) congratulating Schwartz for his "brave conduct in the English trenches on 21 May 1916" and hoping that he recovers swiftly from his wound. He encloses the Cross and its award document. That is as close to a "citation" as we are likely to get for a private's EK2! :jumping::jumping:

#24 addressed to Schwartz (still at Kriegslazerett "Lyceum") by the still alive and apparently senior breathing person in the company, Feldwebel Bohnert informing him that the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin has bestowed the MK2 on him, congratulations, enclosing the cross and award document and the receipt to be filled out and sent along.

#25: said MK2 document, dated 21 June 1916 (one calendar month after Schwartz's brave and near fatal deed)

#26: the EK2 document mentioned in post #23. Notice that this is a extremely unusual printed at company level document-- and signed by a mere Leutnant (M?ller) on 5 July 1916.

Huff puff