News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Christmas... Then

Guest Rick Research

The Deck Officers' Mess of S.M.S. Brandenburg, before the Great War:

[attachmentid=19288]

The legendary Christmas of 1914 (Landsturm Bataillon 36):

[attachmentid=19289]

Noncommissioned officers of the 1. Garde Landwehr Fussartillerie Bataillon in Russia, Christmas 1915:

[attachmentid=19290]

Here is the only one I could come up with. There were a couple others that were maybes but no greens. This one is marked "Christmas in the field 1916". There are men holding up cards with their regimental number on it. Represented are "Rgt. 101", "Rgt. 14", "Rgt. 193", "Rgt. 3", "Rgt. 108" and one shoulder board that I can see displays an 8. On both tables are wrapped presents (And a couple liters of beer).

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

The last for now, this a an advertising card for Leibnitz cookies. What every soldier really wants for Christmas.

Dan Murphy

Ain't that the truth!

:love: your red & black one

Edited by Tom Y

Here's my contribution. Written December 21, 1914. A good game of Skat, a little Muzik, fine food from home, a Tannenbaum, box of cigars and an only slightly annoying barrage. Merry Christmas everyone! Chip

The last for now, this a an advertising card for Leibnitz cookies. What every soldier really wants for Christmas.

Dan Murphy

Bahlsen published more than 60 Feldpost advertising cards featuring images by various artists between 1914 and 1916. The one below is the other christmas motif by the same artist (Diez) as Dan's above.

[attachmentid=20304]

The second card entitled "Weihnachtsabend" (Christmas Eve) was published by the Bayerisches Landeskomitee f?r freiwillige Krankenpflege im Kriege.

[attachmentid=20305]

Best wishes from Germany and I hope you all manage to enjoy some relaxation over the holiday,

David

A Christmas gathering for Eisenbahn-Regt. Nr. 3, 1917.

Dave,

I find this photo very interesting. I've always read so much about the "class consciousness" of the German military. The photo may even be "staged" with a few token other ranks thrown in, but I find it interesting that you have officers, NCOs, and perhaps a private or two in the background all together. :rolleyes:

Oh, yeah, and I love the Kaiser's picture on the wall! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Edited by Mike Dwyer