News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The simple WW1 EK2...

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I am betting the son was killed. The EK on his chest has been added. It makes me think the family had it added after his death... could of course be different, the father died before they could have a photo taken with both wearing the EK so the son had it altered... either way, a testimonial to the value they placed on it....

what a fantastic picture!!

Has anyone ever seen a picture of all three EK issues being worn at once by recipients (1870/14/39)?

It really is.

There are photos of Mackensen during the TR-era, in uniform, wearing his medals from 1870 and 1914-1918. Mackensen and a single WWII era recipient would fit the bill for having all three issues in one photo.

In 1940, when Wilhelm II died, Mackensen was at the funeral. Currently serving officers were discouraged by the regieme d'jour from going to the funeral, however, some chose to go. I don't have any photos of copies of photos of the funeral or services, however, there are some around. There is some serious metal in those photos.

• 2 weeks later...