News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The simple WW1 EK2...

• Replies 137
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the only original photo from WW1 that I have. I think here we can see the reason why the EK2 is so common in the marketplace in these days. If you look closely you would see at least 16 guys out of 45 wearing the EK2. Who knows how many of those in the 2nd row wear EK2 as well.

Great thread. You can't under-emphasize the value of this decoration, especially early in the conflict. My grandfather won his in November, 1914 with the 203 R.I.R at Dixmude, apparently one of the first enlisted men in the regiment to get it. He was badly wounded and unfit for further duty, but most photos of him after this point show him wearing his EK2.

• 2 weeks later...

These photos don't show a person but show how highly held/patriotic the Iron Cross was, so I hope no one minds me adding two inanimate objects to this thread.

A small tin containing jam (still).

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

That one is a fantastic study!

Reminds me of a German memoir when a soldier is miffed because the Kaiser came by where 2 sections were resting after a fight....

One section had suffered badly but accomplished little due to an incompetent Lt. One had fought well, suffered few casualties due to a skilled Lt.

The kaiser gave out crosses to the first unit as they looked more like troops ho had been fighting...

Below, you seldom see Navy pics...