News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Napoleonic Documents

Bear

• Replies 358
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

You will order the immediate arrest of Messrs. Casin and Gentil, battalion commanders and Bagnac Lieutenant, all three from the corps of Engineers, for not having executed the order which I gave them to present themselves to General Lery Commander in Chief of the Corps of Engineers. You will give them the enclosed orders, the Emperor bids you to ensure they are executed promptly, which is to say that these three officers will leave in one hour after you have given them the orders that they present themselves to General Lery.

Even if these gentlemen had not received my order, they received that of General Lery which they should have obeyed.

Berthier

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I came across this fragment and I thought why would someone cut it up. I wonder if the missing part is in another collection, university, or destroyed. Lannes had just taken Saragossa in Spain and was on his way to join Napoleon in the war against Austria. The fragment is dated April 10, 1809 while he was passing through Paris.

When he reached Paris on 9 April, Lannes found his orders waiting. He did not know that Napoleon had debated whether to leave him in Spain and assign the 2nd Corps to Bernadotte so that he may do something useful, for once. As much as he hated Spain, it may have been better for him and the future of the Peninsula had the emperor's coin toss landed in favor of Bernadotte going against the Hapsburgs. Lannes would have almost no time to spend with his family at Maisons, but he delayed his departure as long as he reasonably could. He visited the Empress Josephine the evening before he left, because Napoleon had already been gone for two weeks. It was a formal visit, required by court and military protocol, but it was an odd one. The soldier who Josephine had known since 1797, who once told Napoleon he should have married a much younger woman, was so unusually subdued that she asked what was wrong. He seemed reluctant to answer, but she persisted. "Ive got a really bad feeling [about this campaign], and I don't want to leave my family." Discussing him after he had gone, the empress and her attendant, Mademoiselle Marie-Jeanne Avrillion, decided Lannes was a victim of presentiment. Mlle Avrillion later wrote that "in spite of his incomparable bravery, his audacity that vanquished all dangers, his usually calm challenging of death, Lannes's attitude about this campaign was markedly different from all the others in which he had willingly participated. Whether from presentiment or from some other reason, he obviously did not want to go." Another acquaintance met him in Paris before he left and wished him a speedy return. "I don't know if I'll come back," Lannes told him,"but if I do I'll just have to leave for somewhere else. It's the emperor's destiny to make war and it's mine to follow him until the end. We'll both die, whether it's now or later. I just wish we could be boys again."

THE EMPEROR'S FRIEND

by Margaret Scott Chrisawn

Lannes would be mortally wounded at the battle of Aspern-Essling on May 21, 1809. Napoleon cried....

thanks,

barry

• 3 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

I've posted this before with a very rough and somewhat inaccurate summary, but now in my bid to become known as a scholar ofearly 19th century Germany :rolleyes: i'm reposting with a much better full translation. Thanks to Babelfish, Dr. Friedrich K?hler's 1897 edition of the Dictionary of English and German Languages, and most importantly, the Sage of Oxford, MA I can now present it in a much more accurate and elegant :rolleyes: form.

First, auf Deutsch:

Hauptquartier Toplitz den 19. September 1813

Der Kaiser Napoleon hatte am 16ten September einem gro?en Theil der Reste, welche ihm von den Armee gegen den General Bl?cher und den Kronprinzen von Schweden ?brig bleben, mit dem 1ten 2ten und 14ten Armeekorps vereingt; und war an der Spitze seiner Garden bis gegen Nollendorf vorgeruckt.

Die Ausfage der Gefangenen, besonders die Vorbereitungen des Feindes lie?en seinem Zweifel Raum, da? er eine ernsthafte Operation gegen B?hmen unter der pers?nlichen Leitung des Kaisers beabsichtige. Er lie? zu diesem Zwecke seine Kolonnen von Nollendorf herabdefiliren. Seine Durchlaucht der kommandirende F?rst von Schwartzenberg hatten befohlen, da? sich alle Vorposten bis in die Stellung von Kulm zur?ckziehen sollten, um den Feind daselbst zu erwarren. Arbesau, Delisch, Kninitz und Jonsdorf wurden ihm ?berlassen. Es begann eine sehr lebhafte Kanonade Die Korps der F.Z.M. Grafen Kolloredo und Merveldt defilirten ?ber Deutsch-Neudorf und ?ber Kninitz in des Feindes linke Flanke, wahrend der General Graf Wittgenstein, die Preu?en unter dem General Ziethen mit Infantrie. Massen gegen die Fronte des Feindes vorr?cken lie?. Der Feind entwickelte immer mehr Streitmassen; es mu?te ihm alles daran liegen, Terrain zum Debouchiren zu gewinnen. Die Kavallerie der Garde attakirte mit vieler Entschlossenheit unsere Batterien, w?hrend die franz?sischen Infanterie-Massen auf allen Seiten ein m?rderisches Feuer machten.

In diesem wichtigen Augenblicke sprengte eine Eskadron von Hessen-Homburg Husaren, von der tapfern Preu?ischen Kavallerie unterstu?t, mit der ihnen eigenen Entschlossenheit in die feindlichen Reihen hinein. Die ?sterreichischen Infanterie-Massen folgten ihnen mit der tapfersten Kaltbl?tigkeit. Der Feind wurde ?berall zur?ckgeworfen, und in der gro?en Unordnung auf die H?hen von Nollendorf zur?ckgetrieben.

Der franz?sische General Kreutzer, 7 Kanonen und eine Fahne fielen in unsere H?nde. Die Anzahl der Gefangenen bel?uft sich ?ber 2000. Ein dichter Nebel und die Dunkelheit der Nacht retrete die feindlichen Kolonnen vom unvermeidlichen Verderben. Der Kaiser Napoleon soll selbst in ihrer Mitte gewesen, und Aussage der Gefangenen ihm ein Pferd blessirt worden sehn,

Nach den franz?sischen B?lletins ist die franzosische Armee auf allen Punkten siegreich und im Vorr?cken. In der Wirklichkeit hat sie das rechte Elbe-Ufer gr??tentheils verlassen, und bisher drei Versuche gemachtn nach B?hmen einzu brechen, welche alle zum Verderben der eingedrungenen Korps gereichten.

Alle Nachrichten ?ber den Stand der franz?sischen Armee in dem Erzgebirge stimmten dahin ?berrein, das sie dem schreklichten Mangel Preis gegeben ist, t?glich aus Mangel an Fourage hunderte von Pferden verliert, und von Pferd Fleisch n?hrt.

Seine kaiserl. Hoheit der Gro?f?rst Konstantin befanden sich w?hrend des Gefechts im gr??en Kugelregen unter der Avantgarde. General Graf Wittgenstein, der Herzog von W?rtemberg, die Feldzeugmeister Grafen Kolloredo und Merveldt, der General Ziethen, F.M.L. Aloys F?rst v. Liechtenstein, die Oberstleutenants Simony, Boschie und Ezorich, welcher letztere vom Anfang des Gefechts mit vieler Th?tigheit wirten konnte; der Major Louis Geppert und der Rittmeister D?ry hatten besondere Gelegenheit sich auszuzeichen.

Die verb?ndeten Truppen fochten an diesem Tage abermals, von demselben Geiste beseelt, br?derlich vereint.

Seine russ. kais. Majest?t haben noch in der Nacht nach dem Gefechte dem F.Z.M. Grafen Kolloredo das milit?rische St Georgs-Kreuz dritten Klasse, und dem F.M.L. F?rsten Aloys v. Liechtenstein einem goldenen, mit brillianten Ausschrift verzierten Ehrendegen zugesendet.

Nach so eben von Danzig eingegangenen Nachrichten sind die Parallelen vor dieser Festung bereits er?ffnet.

In English:

The Emperor Napoleon on the 16th September had a great part (of his troops) remaining after his battle with General Bl?cher and the Crown Prince of Sweden, with the 1st, 2nd, and 14th Army Corps united and the Guard on point against the late arriving Nollendorf (Kleist).

The state of the prisoners, and particularly the preparations of the enemy, left no room for doubt that a serious operation against Bohemia under the personal leadership of the Emperor was intended. for this purpose he let the column of Nollendorf pass.

The commander,His Majesty the F?rst von Schwarzenberg had ordered that all the Corps draw back to Kulm to wait for the enemy.Arbesau, Delisch, Kninitz, and Jonsdorf abandoned.

The Corps of Grafs Colloredo and Merveldt started a very lively artillery barrage over Deutsch-Neudorf and Kninitz on the enemy's left flank while Graf von Wittgenstein, the General of Infantry under General Zeithen, advanced on their front in strength. The enemy deployed more and more massed forces, halting their onslaught and keeping them from breaking through. The Guiard Cavalry attacked our batteries with much determination while the massed French Infantry kept up a constant, deadly fire.

In this weighty moment a squadron of the Hessen-Homburg Hussars supported by the brave Prussian Cavalry sprang forward into the enemy's ranks with a great fervor. The Austrian Infantry followed with an undauntable ruthlessness. The enemy was pushed back in the greatest disorder by His Higness von Wollendorf's counterattack.

The French General Kreutzer, seven cannons, and a standard fell into our hands. The number of prisoners was over 2000. In a thick fog and the darkness of night the enemy column was able to retreat from its inevitable destruction. The Emperor Napoleon was in their center and, according to the testimony of prisoners, his horse was wounded .

From the French bulletins their army is on all points victorious in its advance. In actuality they have lost the greater part of the right bank of the Elbe and so far have made three attempts to break through to Bohemia, while destruction constantly rains on the tightly packed corps.All intelligence regarding the French position in the Erzgebirge agree that there is such a frightful lack of forage that they daily butcher hundreds of horses and eat them.

During the battle His Imperial Highness Grand Duke Constantin found himself in a great hail of bullets from the advance guard. General Graf Wittgenstein, the Duke of W?rttemberg, the Feldzuegmeisters Colloredo and Merveldt, General Ziethen, Feldmarschalleutnant Alois F?rst von Liechtenstein, Lieutenant Colonels Simony, Boschie, and Ezorich, were known to pursue the battle from the onset to its end with great fervor. Major Louis Geppert and Rittmeister D?ry proved their character in diverse situations.

The Allied troops again and again were seen to fight on this day hand in hand as brothers.

On the night after the battle His Imperial Majesty the Czar of Russia awarded the St George's Cross Third Class to F.Z.M. Graf Colloredo and to F.M.L. F?rst Alois v. Liechtenstein a golden Honor Sword set with diamonds.

According to reports from Danzig the line to the fortress is already open.

Thanks Tom

I've seen some of these pop up for sale but have never purchased any of them. I've been looking for the French bulletin for a comparison but have been unable to pin it down. Hopefully tomorrow I'll find it and post it. Translating and typing these bulletins are alot of work. :cheers:

thanks again

barry

Her Majesty the Empress Queen and Regent has received the following intelligence from the army, dated 17 September 1813:

On the 14th the enemy debouched from Toplitz on Nollendorf, to turn Dumonceau's division, which was on the height. This division retired in good order on Gushabel, where Count Lobau collected his corps. The enemy, having wished to attack the camp at Gushabel, was repulsed and many lost men.

On the 15th the Emperor left Dresden and marched to the camp at Pirna. He directed General Mouton-Duvernet, commanding the 42nd Division, by the villages of Langenhenersdorf and Bera, thus turning the enemy's right. At the same time Count Lobau attacked it in front; the enemy was driven, sword in its back, all the remainder of the day.

On the 16th, he still occupied the heights beyond Peterswalde. At noon we began to pursue him and he was dislodged from his position. General Ornano made some fine charges with his division of the cavalry of the Guard and Prince Poniatowski's brigade of Polish light horse. The enemy was followed and driven in the greatest order into Bohemia. It made its retreat with so much activity that we were only able to take a few prisoners from it, among whom was General Blucher, commander of the advanced guard, and son of the Prussian General-in-Chief Blucher.

Our loss was trifling.

On the 16th, the Emperor slept at Peterswalde and on the 17th His Majesty returned to Pirna.

Thielmann, a general who deserted from the Saxon service with a corps of partisans and deserters, has marched on Saal. An Austrian colonel has also, as a partisan, marched on Colditz. Generals Margaron, Lefevre-Desnouettes and Pire have gone with columns of infantry and cavalry in pursuit of those parties, hoping to settle the score.

IMPERIAL GLORY by J Davidid Markham

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I just purchased my first Napoleon document. :speechless1: I've been looking for the right one and finally found it. After Marshal Lannes was killed at Aspern Essling(1809), General Oudinot took over the II corps. The document is dated just after Wagram and signed Napole.

Sire, Marshal Oudinot has laid out that the line regiments of the Grandjean division all have two, or even three eagle standards and that the colonels of those corps desire to have them reduced to one, thereby conforming to specifications of an imperial decree. They would then send the extra ones back to France. My opinion, Sire, is that the troops of the line, be it infantry, be it cavalry, must have all their standards on the days of battle, as symbols of victory. I kindly request Your Majesty to inform me of your intentions in this regard?

The Emperor replies:

The colonels of the Grandjean division regiments ask that only one eagle standard be assigned to the army and to send the others back to France. Approval is granted to keep one standard with the army and to send the others back to France to be put into the war [...] when the time has come.

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

waaay cool! That is a Fantastic document. This is when they reduced the eagles from battalion standards to regimental ones and marks the high water mark of the grand Armee.

Flag collectors LOVE eagles. They are the ultimate military collectible. I would happily trade every medal I have for one.

I saw an 1815 one at Traditions when I was a kiddie on Bond Street-a mere 600 pounds-a years' mortgage in those days.

I almost convinced my Dad to get it, but Mum said "no".

Edited by Ulsterman

waaay cool! That is a Fantastic document.

Absolutely smashing! Beats the heck outa Cousin Clem's signed order for spare horseshoes for the Ambulance Corps or whatever! :jumping:

You've got the man's signature AND on soemthing that deals with perhaps the best symbol of his Army and his deeds it's possible to think of. Well done, Bear! :cheers: Hope you didn't have to sell too many of the chilluns to pay for it!

Edited by peter monahan

Of course, after Wagram there was also the increased possibility that eagles would be captured, given the horribly depleted troop strengths after the bloodbath. There were special sergeants assigned to guard the eagles. They carried pistols instead of muskets, had special insignia, ceremonial poleaxes and shorter Roman style swords (for stabbing).

They were big men who were picked for their killing abilities.

Edited by Ulsterman

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just got this in. An early document from the French Revolution and signed by Augereau and I think Bon.

thanks,

barry

Augereau was one of Napoleon?s marshals and the document is dated 1795. General Bon was a veteran of the American Revolution and he would be killed while storming a breach during the Siege at Acre. Marshal Lannes and Pech fought side by side against Spain.

4e. BATAILLON DES PYR?N?ES ORIENTALES

We the members of the Board of Directors Battalion, certify that Citizen sub lieutenant native of St. Paul District Gers Department of the Pyr?n?es Orientales has served in that body since the 8th of May 1793(4-5) as a sub lieutenant and he has always behaved as a brave soldier, and he has given, in all occasions, non-equivocal evidence of his courage and his devotion to the republic. Marseille year 1795

(Signed)

AUGEREAU

BON

I think that this is the signature of General Bon. If so its interesting when Napoleon met his son at the military academy.

thanks,

barry

General Louis-Andre Bon(1758-1799)

wikisource

n? ? Romans en Dauphin?, le 25 octobre 1758, s'enr?la fort jeune dans le r?giment Royal-Infanterie, et fit une partie de la guerre d'Am?rique. ? Commandant d'un bataillon de volontaires nationaux en 1792, il alla rejoindre Dugommier sur les fronti?res d'Espagne, fut bient?t chef de brigade, donna des preuves d'un grand courage au si?ge de Beilegarde et y fut nomm? g?n?ral de brigade. 11 ?tait en'Italie ? tous les combats o? command?rent Bonaparte etAugereau. Apr?s la paix de Campo-Formio, il commanda la 8e division militaire (Marseille), y fit cesser les d?sordres caus?s par la r?action thermidorienne, et rendit les m?mes services ?r Avignon. Nomm? g?n?ral de division, il partit pour l'Egypte, se distingua devant Alexandrie; d?termina la prise du Caire par l'attaque d'un poste important et contribua au triomphe inesp?r? de Mont-Thabor, en tournant l'ennemi attaqu? de front par Kl?ber. Il se distingua ?galement ? la prise d'El-Arich, enleva Gaza, for?a Jaffa et alla p?rir devant les murs de Saint-Jean-d'Acre. Il se trouvait, le 10 mai 1799, ? la t?te de ses grenadiers, au pied de la br?che, dans le dernier assaut livr? au corps de la place, lorsqu'il re?ut une blessure mortelle qui l'enleva ? sa division. ?Le g?n?ral Bon avait toutes les qualit?s qui font les grands g?n?raux.

Quatorze ans apr?s, l'Empereur, visitant l'?cole militaire de Saint-Germain, demanda le nom de l'un des ?l?ves qu'il passait en revue : c'?tait le fils du g?n?ral Bon. ? ? O? est votre m?re, dit Napol?on. ? A Paris, ? un quatri?me ?tage, o? clic meurt de faim. ?

Ce long et involontaire oubli fut r?par? ? l'instant m?me ; la veuve du g?n?ral illustre re?ut une dotation, et le fils fut cr?? baron de l'Empire avec une autre dotation.

Google English :speechless:

born in Romans in Dauphin?, on 25 October 1758, enlisted in the very young Royal Infantry Regiment, and made a part of the war in America. - Commander of a battalion of national volunteer in 1792, he went to join Dugommier on the borders of Spain, was soon head of brigade, gave evidence of great courage at the headquarters of Beilegarde and was appointed Brigadier General. 11 was en'Italie all the fighting that Bonaparte ordered etAugereau. After the Peace of Campo Formio he commanded the 8th Military Division (Marseille), brought an end to disorder caused by the reaction thermidorienne, and made the same services ?r Avignon. Appointed Major General, he left for Egypt, distinguished himself at Alexandria, the determination of Cairo by an attack on an important and contributed to the unexpected triumph of Mont-Thabor, turning the enemy attacked in front by Kl?ber. He also distinguished himself at the El-Arichi kidnapped Gaza, Jaffa and went for?a perish before the walls of Saint-Jean-d'Acre. He was on 10 May 1799, the Sheet Metal of pomegranates at the foot of the breach, in the final assault delivered to the body of the place, when he received a mortal wound that took his division. Bon-General had all the qualities that make the great generals.

Fourteen years later, the Emperor visited the military academy of Saint-Germain, said the name of one of the students that reviewed it was the son of General Bon. - "Where's your mother," said Napoleon. - In Paris, a fourth floor, where clicking dies of hunger. "

This long and unintentional omission was repaired at the same time, the widow of the illustrious General received an endowment, and the son was created Baron of the Empire with another staffing.