News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pith Helmet of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek Polisie

sabrigade

The ZARP members wore a helmet that is very similar to the white British Foreign Servise helmet. In undress, it was worn by the mounted police only. The helmet is white with a silver chin chain, spike and helmet plate.

Will - a lovely helmet and in very good condition. Owen shows this badge on the back cover of his book and if I remember, identifies it as an officers' pattern ? I do know that this helmet was probably British and from the Zulu War - the Boer Govt. bought older stock.

Hi Mervyn,

In 1895 a contract did exist between the Government of the Transvaal and the company Gordon Mitchell of London to supply uniforms and equipment. The badge is No 1998 in Owen's Book but unfortunately he does not specify if it was an officer's badge. " Z.A.R. Police white metal helmet plate worn prior to 1902"

These helmets are very seldom found, as you are aware. I do have a colonial helmet to the Natal Carbineers which is very similar, I will make comparisons.