News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unique Finnish Freedom Cross for sale!

Guest Rick Research

WHY was Colonel Nurmi awarded this? I thought all officers killed in action recieved the 4th Class on black ribbon??????

WHY was Colonel Nurmi awarded this? I thought all officers killed in action recieved the 4th Class on black ribbon??????

Lt.Col. Martti Nurmi was the officer responsible for the defense of the Taipale sector (anyone seen the movie 'Winter War'?). He was also one of those rare cases of high-ranking officers who got promoted during the winter war. He was made colonel on 12. January 1940. He got killed in a railroad-crossing accident involving a car and a train on 6. february 1940.

So technically, this was the cross that should have been given to him, but since he was no longer around when the crosses were being awarded, his wife got it, to be worn as a mourning cross. Like it says on the award document:

"..for the bravery and sacrifice show by your husband during the war, I have given you the Cross of Liberty first class with swords.. ..which you are entitled to carry in a black ribbon of mourning."

Unique piece, indeed.

Pete

Guest Rick Research

Just for a comparison, what would the same grade with its award document to a living recipient sell for?

We NEVER see such things for sale over here, so above 3rd and 4th classes, I have NO idea what the "retail price" is on senior Finnish orders.

Just for a comparison, what would the same grade with its award document to a living recipient sell for?

We NEVER see such things for sale over here, so above 3rd and 4th classes, I have NO idea what the "retail price" is on senior Finnish orders.

I have no idea, can't remember when a set like that was previously for sale. But I admit that the price might have been a bit too high for the Finnish collector market. Jani Tiainen's (of Finnmedals) collector guide for Finnish orders & medals will be published soon, maybe that will ease the situation a bit.

Pete

• 8 months later...

I have no idea, can't remember when a set like that was previously for sale. But I admit that the price might have been a bit too high for the Finnish collector market. Jani Tiainen's (of Finnmedals) collector guide for Finnish orders & medals will be published soon, maybe that will ease the situation a bit.

Pete

Is there a medal roll for the Order of the Freedom Cross?