News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post you Police Uniforms

Last week bought this Feldbluse Jacket of a Schutzpolizeimeister, its a late war piece 1944. Comparing it with others on the thread, I notice its one of the few without brown French cuffs and has one short vent without buttons, against most of the thread jackets having brown cuffs and two long tailored vents with buttons. Is this difference because my one is a feldbluse and the others are parade pieces ? or was the design changed on the later jackets ? Any information welcome.

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Regarding the tunic without cuffs and simplified vent:

I might be wrong but this looks like a field tunic modified by the addition of brown cloth atop a green collar. These "field" or "combat" tunics were authorized for militarized units of the police but were NOT to be used in civil service. I would hypothesize that the guy couldn't procure a M36 tunic and modified a war time "combat" tunic with the addition of the brown collar for civil use. There are many such variations seen. The civil police, particularly in rural areas, was not particularly good at following regulations during the war years.

Regards,

William Unland

Edited by W.Unland

Hi Bill,

I was hoping, If anyone came in on this, it would be you. I follow your post, the explanation / hypothesis that the cuffs are missing, could be you say, that they didn't strictly adhere to regulations, rather than this being a purposeful, distinct uniform variation. Here's four more pictures, one with owners stamp - Eigentum - Kosisn - Leih Anstalt, Lambert - Hofer, Wien, IV Norgau***** 18, I wondered, due to the Austrian connection, whether they may have had a variation all their own ? Again Bill thanks for the help on this. Best Wishes.

Hello,

Seeing the underside of the collar reinforces my belief that your tunic is a modified "combat" tunic. Early in the NS-zeit there were some odd Austrian variations, but usually limited to pocket shapes and such. Your tunic without the brown material on the collar is regulation. The civil police were required to wear the brown collar and cuffs to distinguish them from the military. Of course when units of the police were "militarized" there was no distiction, and same color cuffs and collar were used. The civil police were also allowed to wear such tunics but not while in contact with the general public; ie, training and work outside the city. I have seen photos of similar tunics with brown collar and no cuffs. Some seem to have been produced that way, but may be alterations. I dont believe it is of any significance other than adding cuffs would have been difficult, and the wearer didn't want to go to the trouble. The brown collar was deemed "enough" to meet the "spirit" of the regulations.

Your tunic is a thoroughly documented variation and at least to me is more interesting than the typical M36 as it places it in a specific time period post 1941 during the war years.

Regards,

Bill Unland

Edited by W.Unland

Bill,

Thanks for your time on this. Summarizing your last two posts - its a regulation combat feldbluse - modified, and used by the military police arm of the Schutzpolizei. A branch which was solely concerned with military matters, hence due to feldbluse, no contact with the public.

From the outset I was confident, the uniform was genuine, as people say, the devil is in the detail, i.e. no cuffs and a different vent, that started me wondering. Its always nice to have a answer up your sleeve, if anyone asks and to be able to explain. Best Wishes

• 1 month later...

An early dated jacket.

The sleeve badge still has the name of the city Wien displayed above the eagle. The stamps show the jacket was made in 1939. The jacket is in a surprisingly good condition but the 'Erel Fiber Tschako' (1937) has suffered as little.

dscf0595g.jpg