News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A nice Chindit group, still unresearched but should have a good story to tell

This is one of my latest purchases. The GSM with Palestine bar is named to 2752069 Cpl E Mathew Black Watch. The WWII medals are unnamed as issued, and the LS&GC has the same details except his unit is now CRMP (Corps of Royal Military Police). Came with no research but given the combination of medals I am pretty sure he was in the 2nd Battalion of the Black Watch since they were stationed in Palestine at the outbreak of WWII. They then went to Italian Somaliland, after which they ended up as part of the garrison on Crete. When they were evacuated from Crete then ended up in North Africa and were in the garrison at Tobruk during that famous siege. They then were sent to the Far East and were one of the units in the 2nd Chindit Expedition.

If anyone can recommend any good books that focus on the activities of the Black Watch in WWII I would appreciate the names. These were certainly a very well deserved group of medals.

• 1 month later...

Books which may help "The Trumpet in the Hall" covers exactly the period you want to research and "The Black Watch & the King's Enemies 1939-45".Both written By Bernard Ferguson a regular BW offr of the time. If I remember correctly he eventually led a Chindit column.If you only buy one book then buy "The Trumpet in the Hall"

Both titles available at www.medalsonline.co.uk in the book section/regimental histories.The speed of their service is excellent.

Mike

Mike,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I have read Beyond the Chindwin but it was about the 1st Chindit Expedition and Fergusson was a major attached to a different regiment. The recipient of these medals would have been on the 2nd Chindit Expedition in the column lead by Fergusson so the other two books you mention could be useful.

:cheers:

Mike,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I have read Beyond the Chindwin but it was about the 1st Chindit Expedition and Fergusson was a major attached to a different regiment. The recipient of these medals would have been on the 2nd Chindit Expedition in the column lead by Fergusson so the other two books you mention could be useful.

:cheers:

You might also try "Wingate in Peace and War" by MG Derek Tulloch, Wingate's Chief of Staff. There are quite a few mentions of Fergusson and the 2nd expedition.

Hugh Tulloch