News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can any of you gentlemen educate me as to the details behind a Prussian (?) medal that was struck to commemorate the Allies victory over Napoleon in the Battle of Leipzig in 1813? It was a silver(?) oval shaped medal with the heraldic shields of Russia Austria, Prussia and Sweden on the obverse with the inscription "Suum Cuique" at the top and "Deutschland 1813" at the bottom . The reverse has the radiant all-seeing eye at the top and with the inscription (in German) "our God is our Castle".

I would like to know who struck it, when it was struck, who received it (combattants vs. non-combattants, etc.), ribbon type, current value, etc. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Dear Jaybo,

It was struck by Loos at Berliner Medaillen-Münze in 1813.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Friedrich_Loos

It was sold to patriotic women in Germany to wear in a necklace. So it had no ribbon and was not awarded. "SUUM CUIQUE" is latin and means something like "EACH HIS OWN". At the top of the reverse you see the hebrew letters YHVH, which means Jehova.

00484Q00.JPG

As far as I know it was only sold. But of course some young lady could have given hers away or the soldier could have bought one. Loos also made a serie of small medals for all the battles in the 6th coalition war, which I guess many of the participants bought.

H14A.jpg

H14R.jpg

I thought these were also sold as commemorative awards by enterprising jewelers. There does seem to be some evidence that these commemoratives were occasionally worn by older vets as added bling- notably a painting at the Munich City museum of the veterans’ parade in 1865 shows some older guys wearing these on red/white/black ribbons or black/ white ribbons- sort of how modern WW2 vets add specific purchased commemoratives to their groups. 

Edited by Ulsterman

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it is an official ribbon. It was sold to  wear in a necklace. So if I don't see a few more of this with the black ribbon I assume it was private made, but it could absolutely be by a Prussian.

Edited by Christiania

• 3 months later...