News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wolseley Helmet Malta Police 1916

Hello - Ragnar. Nice to hear from you and thankyou for showing this interesting helmet. You know already that this pattern of helmet plate has a Crown that could be for Edward the 7th. or, for both George 5th and 6th. This is a span from 1901 to 1952.

The Malta Police - to the best of my recollection - still wear a sun hat . They have a a small museum within their HQ - they are very helpful and I suggest you write to them to get further information.

Try this address . MALTA POLICE, MAIN STATION HEADQUARTERS, VALETTA, MALTA.

Send the photos.

Let us know how you get on with this enquiry ?

Hello

Thanks for the information! But that's a lot of effort. I want to sell the helmet. I collect only German militaria.

If someone knows something else about the helmet, please write. :-)

Greetings from Germany

Ragnar

Hello

Thanks for the information! But that's a lot of effort. I want to sell the helmet. I collect only German militaria.

If someone knows something else about the helmet, please write. :-)

Greetings from Germany

Ragnar

Hello Ragnar,

Welcome to the forum.

Even though it may seem to be a lot of effort to research the helmet I think it will be worth your while. The more information you can offer with it to a potential seller the more you can get for it. That's just sound business and Mervyn knows what he is talking about.

Good luick on the sale.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Nick - I would think two possible reasons. Malta was very much under the control of the Navy and Army at that point and the Police probably came under their jurisdiction. Which leads to the second point - they may have supplied the helmet from stores. But - as always, we will probably learn a different reason...

• 5 months later...

Well, for one thing, I have never seen such a helmet with the red pargree, and for sure the King's Crown helmet badge was never black, but always silver.

For sure, that is not a police helmet..

Welcome to GMIC , Adrob. I see you are in Malta - are you in the Police ? I have seen the pictures of this helmet - the original owner sold it on ebay, so it has disappeared from sight. Many British helmet plates were black and as we said, the helmet may have been issued from one of the Services. Remember, that in the early 1900's the British made their own rules ! We still like to, but no-one listens today........

Try and get us some photos from the Police Museum - would be very interesting. Last time I was in Valetta I presented a copy of my book to the Commissioner. Don't think he gave me anything ! I always liked the Phoenicia Hotel - have they up-dated it yet ?

• 4 months later...

Hello Mervyn,

Sorry for the late reply. I do have some photos of the Malta Police Museum. You will be happy to learn, that I played a huge part in the setting up of the museum. As a matter of fact, we were four in all. I have to find the photos, and will uploaded them.

The next time you are in Malta, be sure to let me know, so that you can sign my copy of your book.

take care

Joe

Welcome to GMIC , Adrob. I see you are in Malta - are you in the Police ? I have seen the pictures of this helmet - the original owner sold it on ebay, so it has disappeared from sight. Many British helmet plates were black and as we said, the helmet may have been issued from one of the Services. Remember, that in the early 1900's the British made their own rules ! We still like to, but no-one listens today........

Try and get us some photos from the Police Museum - would be very interesting. Last time I was in Valetta I presented a copy of my book to the Commissioner. Don't think he gave me anything ! I always liked the Phoenicia Hotel - have they up-dated it yet ?

Hi - Joe. How very nice to have a reply from you - one of the great things about GMIC is that we can correspond with people of the same interests right around the World. I think the photos you promise will be very interesting - and please don't disappear again - or, least not for such a long time ! I don't think I am strong enough now to go travelling - however, IM me your address and I will send a note you can keep in the book.

Best wishes Mervyn