News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Orange Nassau (The Netherlands)

I have a knights order of Orange Nassau where I would like to know the age of.

I have looked around but sadly there is no information on the types of medals that have been made at what time.

I have not seen a similar crown before, so I'm curious if someone else has (specifically the little round holes I have not seen like that before).

Back_ON.jpgFront_ON.jpgBOX_ON.jpg

Here are some photo's, I'm curious if someone has more information on it.

Ramon

San Francisco,

California

Hi OvBacon,

the cross is pre seventies because on the backside the text is written as: 'God ZY met ons' instead off 'God ZIJ met ons' . (God be with us).

Till about 1972 the ZY version was issued. The Oranje Nassau order itself was instituted in 1892.

For the moment thats the best i can do for you.

Herman

Hi OvBacon,

the cross is pre seventies because on the backside the text is written as: 'God ZY met ons' instead off 'God ZIJ met ons' . (God be with us).

Till about 1972 the ZY version was issued. The Oranje Nassau order itself was instituted in 1892.

Herman

Thanx Herman, thats al ready more than I knew of it.

Please share any more info if you come across it.

Ramon

Hi OvBacon,

Herman

And I am interested in knowing if I paid a good price for it?

I paid $160.-

Ramon

That is about 110 euro's. A quite normal price here in the Netherlands.

Thanks HenkWillem,

So if I would like to buy more Dutch awards what would be a good starting place.

Are there good sites or vendors?

Ramon

Most collectors that has just started with collecting, buy thier stuff on www.marktplaats.nl but this is a Dutch site.

www.emedals.ca www.liverpoolmedals.co.uk www.medal-medaille.com also have Duch awards.

Thanx again, I hope your ok with it if I ask you for some pointers in the future about Dutch medals.

You seem to know a lot about them

You're welcome.

HenkWillem, what should the size of the medal be for a Knight and what for a Officers Cross..., If you look at the bigger images at the ribbon it looks like there was suppose to be something circular attached to it... a rosette perhaps, or just a ribbon anomaly?

And there is some "gold" residue on the crown and wreath

Ramon

Edited by OvBacon

Hello Ramon,

If you see the marking of a circular attachment on the ribbon and the cross and crown have a golden residue, than you have a Officer instead of a Knight in this order. The size of the cross is the same for both (around 44 mm). All higher awards of this Order (Commander, Grand Officer and Grand Cross) have a bigger cross (over 62 mm).

I attach a picture of my small collection. At the left their is a female officer with indeed a rosette on the ribbon.

regards

Herman

Hello Ramon,

If you see the marking of a circular attachment on the ribbon and the cross and crown have a golden residue, than you have a Officer instead of a Knight in this order. The size of the cross is the same for both (around 44 mm). All higher awards of this Order (Commander, Grand Officer and Grand Cross) have a bigger cross (over 62 mm).

I attach a picture of my small collection. At the left their is a female officer with indeed a rosette on the ribbon.

regards

Herman

Ahhh, ok

well so i learn a lot.

OOooo, I would love to have one with crossed swords..., how much do those go for?

The crossed swords is the military division of this order. They do around double or triple the amount than a civilian version.

The medals (the 2 versions on the right of my picture) are still quite cheap in the military swords division.

A Grand cross and breast star with the swords can go for around eur 2000,- A Commanders cross will do around 600 euro. It depend on what the market will give for it. They are scarce.

By the way, a fresh rosette can be obtained for your cross with the Dutch firm van Wielik in the Hague. Just type in www.vanwielik.com and you found them. Please be aware that the orange in the current version is a bit more orange than yelloworange. Please see the difference in my picture of the female officers cross compared with the others.

Good luck

Herman

Edited by Herman

• 5 years later...

I would advice to get the book Knights of Orange - Orders of the Netherlands (2015) by Antti Ruokonen, announced here before. It contains an extended chapter abouth the Orde van Oranje-Nassau and it's manufacturers, and a most interesting chapter dedicated to halmarks in Dutch medals.