News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cloth Arm Band (Brassard) and SC badge

Hello Everyone,

This is a cloth arm band for a Special Constable numbered 98. It measures 46cm in total length and 7.5cm at the widest point. The arm band is made of two pieces of material sewn back to back for strength. It is actually in good condition though a little dingy on the outer surface. The arm band came with a brass badge which is a flat disc with SPECIAL CONSTABLE surrounding S.C. in the centre. The badge is held on by a horizontal pin soldered to the back. No manufactirer's name or mark can be found.

The vender informed me that these two items were purchased together and considering the location of the estate sale he suggests that the S.C. could stand for Stirling County. Upon researching the location I found that this is in Scotland. The article said that Stirling is called the "Gateway to the Highlands" being situated roughly between the Highlands and the Lowlands. I know the members in the U.K. are rolling their eyes and thinking, "Duh, where else would you expect to find it?" :whistle: Please remember that we colonials have to look such things up as that's not common knowledge here. :unsure:

I have a couple of questions to pose. First, what do the members think about the possibility of S.C. being Stirling County? Secondly, are the cloth arm bands predominatly Second World War issue with the aluminum brassards being from the First World War era? Or, is this a matter of some municipalities trying to conserve the tax payers money and opting for the less expensive cloth versions? The last question is whether you think the two items could have been together from the start? Considering the arm band would be the less expensive alternative to an aluminum brassard and the badge is made from a flat disc of brass with the letters engraved into the surface, which is also less expensive, I would think this would support, at least in part, the suggestion that these were a pair issued to the same officer or at least to the same constabulary.

Comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Brian.

Interesing items. My observation would be that all Special Constabularies would surely be administered and controlled by an existing Police force or Constabulary and so we would need to establish whether Stirling County ever possessed its own Police Force or unit.

In my experiance with English County Constabularies this would be the case but that does not mean anything North of the Border with their own laws and procedures.

Have you goggled for a Stirling county force?

Brian.

Interesing items. My observation would be that all Special Constabularies would surely be administered and controlled by an existing Police force or Constabulary and so we would need to establish whether Stirling County ever possessed its own Police Force or unit.

In my experiance with English County Constabularies this would be the case but that does not mean anything North of the Border with their own laws and procedures.

Have you goggled for a Stirling county force?

I found a Stirling County Constabulary but no date so far. More searching is required.

Regards

Brian

Simon - I thought I had read from Brian's notes that the badge had come from Stirling - hence my agreement. I see now that it was a suggestion and I agree with you that it could be a number of possibilities. I still think the S.C. will be for a Force.

Simon - I thought I had read from Brian's notes that the badge had come from Stirling - hence my agreement. I see now that it was a suggestion and I agree with you that it could be a number of possibilities. I still think the S.C. will be for a Force.

Mervyn

I would disagree I think SC stands for Special Constabulary but if you are looking for a force how about Surrey Constabulary, they put SC on their painted trucheons, but as to age it need not be a war time issue, thousands of SCs were sworn in for the 1926 General Strike and most were not uniformed but needed to be identified, quickly and cheaply.

Mervyn

I would disagree I think SC stands for Special Constabulary but if you are looking for a force how about Surrey Constabulary, they put SC on their painted trucheons, but as to age it need not be a war time issue, thousands of SCs were sworn in for the 1926 General Strike and most were not uniformed but needed to be identified, quickly and cheaply.

Hi Vickers,

That's an interesting point.

One of the pit falls of such purchases as this is taking anything for granted. The vendor provided the information based on the area where it was purchased by him, however, there is nothing saying that is the origin of the item and he was making a guess. I would lean towards the SC standing for the municipality or something else ("strike control" as a poor example) as the words "Special Constable" are already spelled out, it seems a bit redundant to engrave it twice.

Lots to think about and research.

Regards

Brian

Surrey - Suffolk - Sheffield etc. - the 'C' standing for Constabulary - not Constable. SC on early painted truncheons stood for an emergency, locally appointed constable to help the Parish Constable - or, the local Town Force.

Vickers, it is nice to have another point of view - all adds to the general picture. However, I'm wondering if you have ever seen a copy of my book - I show lots of pictures of Special Constabulary truncheons and trace their origins ?

If you compare this with a typical Special Constable's lapel badge it is of a very poor quality. It has all the hallmarks of the type of badge issued during the General Strike (1926) when thousands of Specials were sworn-in at very short notice because of fears of revolutionary activities around the UK.

I would hazard that the SC is little more than a motif to fill the centre of the badge and could be from anywhere.

Here are some examples of the kind of insignia issued by various Scottish burgh and county forces in the early part of the 20th Century. Look at the sheer quality.

Scottish force insignia

Edited by NickLangley

Surrey - Suffolk - Sheffield etc. - the 'C' standing for Constabulary - not Constable. SC on early painted truncheons stood for an emergency, locally appointed constable to help the Parish Constable - or, the local Town Force.

Vickers, it is nice to have another point of view - all adds to the general picture. However, I'm wondering if you have ever seen a copy of my book - I show lots of pictures of Special Constabulary truncheons and trace their origins ?

Mervyn

Not knowingly but I have an interest in SC truncheons please let me have details. I would suspect on reflection that SC on this badge is a rank identification and there may have been othes for Sgts, Inps etc.

If you compare this with a typical Special Constable's lapel badge it is of a very poor quality. It has all the hallmarks of the type of badge issued during the General Strike (1926) when thousands of Specials were sworn-in at very short notice because of fears of revolutionary activities around the UK.

I would hazard that the SC is little more than a motif to fill the centre of the badge and could be from anywhere.

Here are some examples of the kind of insignia issued by various Scottish burgh and county forces in the early part of the 20th Century. Look at the sheer quality.

Scottish force insignia

Hi Nick,

I checked out the link and can see what you mean. Actually I would like to find out that this badge was for the General Strike of 1926. That would make is a real piece of history.

Regards

Brian

Brian - I doubt if you will ever be sure of the identity of this little badge. The General Strike of 1926 is certainly a possibility. Many truncheons (plain - no painting) were handed out and I still have the lovely teak one my Father was given - and escaped with.

After the strike a number of Forces handed out commemorative truncheons with the C of A's being a transfer. Salisbury in Wiltshire did , and also the Force I am illustrating. I can't remember whose Arms they are - perhaps someone will recognise them.

Hi Mervyn,

Nice truncheon, I hope one of the members can help with the identification.

You are correct, the SC badge may remain one of those mysteries housed in my collection for future caretakers to decipher.

My hope lies with a member recognizing the badge or perhaps seeing one in a period photo.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am a new member (my first posting) and a modest collector of SC memorabilia. The brass lapel is identified in John Green's most excellent book entitled 'Scottish Insignia as used by old Police Forces'. In his publication John confirms that the badge hails from Stirlingshire.

Kind regards,

Kevin B

Hello, I am a new member (my first posting) and a modest collector of SC memorabilia. The brass lapel is identified in John Green's most excellent book entitled 'Scottish Insignia as used by old Police Forces'. In his publication John confirms that the badge hails from Stirlingshire.

Kind regards,

Kevin B

Welcome Kevin,

Thank you for that information, it is most valuable.

Regards

Brian

Kevin - I would also like to say welcome to GMIC. I have never heard of this book - when was it published and do you know if it is still available ?

Good Morning to all, and my thanks to Ian, Brian and Mervyn in welcoming me. It is very much appreciated. In response to Mervyn's question. The book was published by John Green in 2008 (ISBN 978-0-9553100-4-1) and retailed at £29.95. You occasionally still see copies for sale on Ebay. John published the book privately (brave soul) and may well have further copies.

Kevin

Good Morning to all, and my thanks to Ian, Brian and Mervyn in welcoming me. It is very much appreciated. In response to Mervyn's question. The book was published by John Green in 2008 (ISBN 978-0-9553100-4-1) and retailed at £29.95. You occasionally still see copies for sale on Ebay. John published the book privately (brave soul) and may well have further copies.

Kevin

Hello again, I have had a very quick look at the Ebay site. John is advertising the book as a 'buy now' item (Ebay 120519212830) for £29.95 plus £3.50 postage and packing. He is selling under the name 'scotbadger', has five copies left, and the item has four more days to run.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin - thankyou for that info.. You wouldn't have contact details for him ? I hate ebay (even though the shop has a reg. address - 'Africa 1')

I like the look of his book cover - but need to have 'words' about truncheon. I'm sure he wouldn't have used it if it wasn't Scottish - however, the portcullis was always Westminster in London. Some of his badges I have never seen .