News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian General Service Medal

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

In records in the National Archives of Canada of the Welland Canal Force, 1914-1918, Lieutenant T. E. Davies is recorded as over 70 years old and a Fenian Raid veteran.

Can anyone provide me with more info on this man.

Checked the Rolls. He doesn't show up on the 66 or 70 Rolls for the WCF.

Checked the Rolls. He doesn't show up on the 66 or 70 Rolls for the WCF.

There would nit be a roll for the Welland Canal force. It did not exist at the time of the Fenian Raids.

Davies was probably an enlisted man, and I suspect a British soldier.

Bill

Guest Darrell

There would nit be a roll for the Welland Canal force. It did not exist at the time of the Fenian Raids.

Davies was probably an enlisted man, and I suspect a British soldier.

Bill

According to Thyen there was.

WELLAND CANAL F.B.

FENIAN RAID 1866

FENIAN RAID 1870

There are listed 56 in the rolls, 29 took part in the action at Fort Erie in 1866.

That's very interesting. The WCF was created on 5 August 1914 with the call-up of the 19th "Lincoln" Regiment, the 44th "Lincoln and Welland" Regiment, and a portion of the 2nd Dragoons to Active Service. Within a month two companies of the 77th "Wentworth" Regiment were added to form the core of the Force. Over the course of the war men from other militia units and direct civilian recruits did duty with the WCF. Men who did not meet the medical standards of the CEF were sometimes enlisted. The Force was disbanded and the 2nd Battalion, Canadian Garrison Regiment took over its duties in July 1918.

As I noted, it did not exist during the Fenian Raids.

These men must have served in the Canadian Militia or the British Army at the time of the raids.

I would appreciate a listing, either posted to this Forum, or sent via email. If you're reseptive, of course.

Darrell:--

Going back to your last posting:- the WCFB was not the WCF. It was the Welland Canal Field Battery, raised in 1863 as the Port Colborne Field Battery. Today, the 10th Field Battery, 56th Field Regiment claims lineal descent.

As I noted, T. E. Davies was probably in a British regiment.

Guest Darrell

Darrell:--

Going back to your last posting:- the WCFB was not the WCF. It was the Welland Canal Field Battery, raised in 1863 as the Port Colborne Field Battery. Today, the 10th Field Battery, 56th Field Regiment claims lineal descent.

As I noted, T. E. Davies was probably in a British regiment.

Bill, that would probably explain it. I was wondering whether we were talking about exactly the same Force or not :cheers:

Guest Darrell

Thanks, Darrell,

Your photographs are remarkable for their resolution / depth of field. What are you using?

Hugh

Thanks Hugh.

The medal namings are with a little Sony DSC CyberShot 7MP camera. Nothing special. Has nothing for Macro ability, but if I can get good outdoor lighting, I use a mini-tripod and snap the pictures from about 6-8 inches away. I can then use the 7MP resolution to zoom in for better details. Sometimes it takes quite a few attempts, but I'm pleased with the results.

The Obverse/Reverse pictures (including the closeups) are from my old Year 2000 Epson Perfection 610 scanner. It's even got a crack in the glass now, but it takes such darn good scans I hate to get something else, even though the max resolution I can get with her is a mere 600 dpi.

Thanks Hugh.

The medal namings are with a little Sony DSC CyberShot 7MP camera. Nothing special. Has nothing for Macro ability, but if I can get good outdoor lighting, I use a mini-tripod and snap the pictures from about 6-8 inches away. I can then use the 7MP resolution to zoom in for better details. Sometimes it takes quite a few attempts, but I'm pleased with the results.

The Obverse/Reverse pictures (including the closeups) are from my old Year 2000 Epson Perfection 610 scanner. It's even got a crack in the glass now, but it takes such darn good scans I hate to get something else, even though the max resolution I can get with her is a mere 600 dpi.

What a neat trick! Sometimes we get too hung up on the hardware and forget to use the brain.

Thanks,

Hugh

• 4 months later...

I have my great grandfathers General service medal with the 1866 Fenian Raid bar ( with the original box it was issued in as I was told ). He was in the 25th rgt of the 1st battalion.

I spent a small amount of time between jobs in Ridgeway to check the museum to try and find out some more info, but with my limited time, all I managed to find out was which battalion he was with. I'm planning on going back when I have some more free time.

BTW, his medal number is 772, and his name is Private Benjamin Hawkins. I also have some pictures of him, but not in uniform.

John

Guest Darrell

Good info John. He shows up on the roll indeed for the 25th Reg of the 1st BN for the Fenian 1866 Clasp.

Edited by Darrell

I have my great grandfathers General service medal with the 1866 Fenian Raid bar ( with the original box it was issued in as I was told ). He was in the 25th rgt of the 1st battalion.

I spent a small amount of time between jobs in Ridgeway to check the museum to try and find out some more info, but with my limited time, all I managed to find out was which battalion he was with. I'm planning on going back when I have some more free time.

BTW, his medal number is 772, and his name is Private Benjamin Hawkins. I also have some pictures of him, but not in uniform.

John

Hello John,

Welcome to the forum, it's good to see another Canadian on board.

When you are able, or allowed, would it be possible for you to post photos of the medal and your great grandfather? I am sure many, including me, would be most interested in seeing them.

Regards

Brian

Here goes my attempt at posting a scanned image of one side of the medal. The box is made of wood with a dark brown cover (thin leather?), and has "GEORGE KENNING LONDON LIVERPOOL MANCHESTER GLASGOW" printed in gold letters on the inside of the lid. The box is just big enough for the medal and attached ribbon to lay flat inside.

Unfortunately, the medal has toned, but it like my grandfathers WWI medals, has never been cleaned or polished, and never will be while they are in my posession.

John

Edited by Johnb74