News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was lucky enough to pick up this very rare book yesterday.It is basically a photo essay of the cruise of the HSK Komet.It is nicely printed and contains dozens of images of the voyage.

It is a lot more scarce than the Atlanis book and did not go into printing for the public,as the Atlantis book did,later.

It was specifically printed for crewmember and their families.

I know of only three other other of these books in collections.

Regards,Martin.

Guest Darrell

Interesting. Thanks for showing Martin.

I assume this was a general publication and not a personal photo album (I think that's what you meant on the description).

Hi Darrel,

yes,the book was made for general publication.Only a few hundred were printed for,as i mentioned,crewmen and their families.I beleive a crewman named Adolf Schmidt was the driving force behind it's publication.He also started the Komet Crew Association.

I will post more images of it's content later.

Here is the cover of the Atlantis book,a similar theme.The great thing about the original run on the Atlantis book is that it contains a complete crewlist in the reverse.Only 400 were originally printed.

When the Atlantis book was later reprinted for the public,the crewlist was ommited.

This one i have contains the crewlist.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Nice!

About 10 years ago i had a pile of original newsletters that were printed onboard one of the HKs above... cannot remember which one unfortunately...

Too bad Chris,

a pity you still do not have them.

Regards,Martin.

• 1 month later...
    • 5 months later...

However,this one is very special.

It came as part of a small grouping that belonged to Erich Kuhn,the 1st Officer on the Atlantis.

What is so special about this book is that it has a written dedication by the Atlantis Commander,Bernhard Rogge to his 1st Officer,Kuhn in the front of the book.

Edited by Martin W

Thanks Gordon,

the traditions pin is postwar,but was worn by the crewmen at their ship reunions.

I hope to add Kuhn's Hilfskreuzer award and his Imperial EK1 with 1939 spange to this group at a later date.

Regards,Martin.

Thanks Gordon,

the traditions pin is postwar,but was worn by the crewmen at their ship reunions.

I hope to add Kuhn's Hilfskreuzer award and his Imperial EK1 with 1939 spange to this group at a later date.

Regards,Martin.

Martin,

Great to see your HK acquisitions and good luck reuniting more of Kuhn's items.

Erik

Hi Martin,

Very very nice. I think you are amassing a Museum quality collection. Wouldn't it be great to walk through a reconstruction of the Atlantis with your collection displayed in it!

Best regards,

---Norm

Thanks Norm.

Now you know why i have been selling off other items from my KM collection.It is so that i can obtain pieces/groups like this.

Oddly enough,i have more items from the Hilfskreizer's THOR and STIER than i do from the ATLANTIS.

I hope to be picking up an album and documents from the KOMET this weekend.

With the ATLANTIS book came this other book for the "Crew Grossdeutschland 1938".

Kuhn was an instructor on this vessel.

Cheers,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Kuhn was known as a hard but fair instructor with a lot of knowledge and well respected by his students.

The dedication in the front of the book is written to "Papa Kuhn" from his "gangser" crew.

Regards,Martin.

• 3 weeks later...

Martin:

Your cap badge is an absolute perfect example of what was "issued" at the early crew meetings for Atlantis (circa ~1955.) You'll see various pin set ups on the reverse. Yours has a reverse pin which is new to me, but I have no doubt to the "originality" of the badge. It is exactly like my examples.

Note that the nickname "Papa Kühn" stayed with him (among others) during his time on ATLANTIS too. Nice aquisition Martin.

Joe