News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BOER WAR SET + ALL THE EXTRAS

One of the more frustrating things about collecting medals, is that so often they are broken sets. Many times, it is the family each having one as a 'keepsake' - other times they have never been claimed. But, very rarely do you have all the accesories that the medal wearer had as an officer or, enlisted man.

This post is about such a set, and I think you will be amazed at the quality and the variety of the objects. Firstly, an original oil painting of the officer :

The painting would have been from the 1890's - or, if done during the War, the medals had not yet been awarded.

The entry above is from the South Afria Who's Who for 1908. An exceptionally rare volume which lists details of many local Colonial officers. I will be happy to look anyone-up if you give me a name.

You will note that he was the Captain and Commander of the Worcester Volunteer Rifles. They were formed in the 1850's with about 50 men - later, they became a Rifles Unit. During the War he was a Staff Officer and had the appointment of DAAG ( I think - Deputy Asst. Adjutant General)

Much more importantly - he was made the Commandant for Boer P.O.W. transit camps at Capetown ; Green Point (in Capetown) and at Simonstown.

Simonstown has always been our main Naval base and is about 30 miles (45Kms.) from central Capetown. From this Port the POW's were despatched to the four overseas camps. These were at St. Helena ; Bermuda ; Ceylon and India.

Despite his humble rank , he was obviously highly thought of and held important positions.

Worcester is a small inland town - famous for it's orchards. Roughly 40 miles (60kms.) from Capetown. All towns in those days had an armed unit to protect the area - these were made-up from the local poulation. Captain Perkins actually owned a grocery shop.

Unusually, the set comes complete with his sword - the 1827 pattern Rifles Brigade. There are also the two scabbards - the chromed dress one - which is worn at the 'trail' and the service pattern. This hangs straight down off the left thigh and is covered in pigskin. This one still has the Boer War supports ,which were removed for WW1. His swagger stick is included.

I will be doing a longer post on the Swords in the correct section.

The Guard of the sword - showing the 1827 arrangement. It is identical to the 1822 Infantry Officers' sword - except on the Rifles, there isn't a folding side to the guard. The cartouche shows the Rifles ' strung bugle' motif, common to all Light Infantry Regt's..

Contrary to the misconception that there was great enmity between the British and the Boers, the above re-print shows the bond that could exist. I think this is a wonderful testimony to the character of Capt. Perkins.

Please remember Hugh's tip - if wording is small - Press Control and + : to reduce back, Control and -

To conclude this long and exhausting post - a special presentation silver flask to Captain Perkins.

His signature is on the first picture - you do this by coating the surface with wax - sign - engrave over the signature and then wash the wax away.

The other side is more interesting - a Lt. Col. of the Royal Marine Light Infantry made the presentation. Possibly his counter part in the Marines, who he would have handed his prisoners over to for transport ?