News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Musicians insignia

I thought I would make a short presentation on Luftwaffe Musician insignia for the group. I hope you find it informative.

There were two distinct patterns of musician rank insignias. 1935-1938 and post 12 April 1938. The reason for this is order LV 38A No. 116 changed the status of musicians from officials to soldiers and granted musicians full uniform of the regular forces.

There are five officer ranks:

MUSIKMEISTER 2nd Lt

OBERMUSIKMEISTER 1st Lt

STABSMUSIKMEISTER Captain

MUSIKINSPIZIENT Major

OBERMUSIKINSPIZIENT Lt. Colonel

There was no Colonel grade rank.

All non officer musicians were given senior NCO status.

The 1935-38 pattern of tabs for officer grade were either a ? wreath with lyre or a full wreath with lyre.

After April 1938 the gulls were added. For example a Major grade would have full wreath, lyre and one gull. A captain would have ? wreath, lyre and three gulls.

Here is an example of a 1935-38 Company level band leader. I have never seen or handled a field grade tab of this type.

Here are some examples of the different types of backing materials you might encounter. Collectors should remember that insignia making was a cottage industry in TR Germany and different materials particularly in the backing or base will be encountered. Several factors should be considered when determining whether you have a good period piece or a reproduction i.e. detail and depth of the wreath and gulls, type of edge piping and method of attachment, UV light reaction, quality of the wool base material, etc. I?ve observed a set of musician tabs made by adding a tiny metal lyre with a screw back to a standard set of bullion tabs. I had a case o the cheaps and didn?t buy this set, a decision I now regret.

Garth,

This can be summed up in two words...."simply outstanding"! I have never seen a collection of this many musician tabs in one collection. The condition is remarkable also.

Thanks for showing the backs also.

Gary B