News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some killer photos.....

Hi,

I have 2 albums with about 80 large photos, about 19 by 15 cm each. I think they were printed from the original negatives and taken back to Canada by a canadian who fought in the Boer war.

Have had some extras that came along over the years... Some of the pics I have never seen, some are pretty famous (like the one of De Wet).

Best

Chris

Great photos, what's the helmet flash in post no. 1 & the slouch hat insignia in 7?

Hi,

I am not sure about the baddies in 1. but the goodies in 7 have the Orange Free State Artillery badge ;-)

Here is a sensationally rare pic, was not in the original album and set me bach a pile of money.... but worth it....

Hi,

I am not sure about the baddies in 1. but the goodies in 7 have the Orange Free State Artillery badge ;-)

Here is a sensationally rare pic, was not in the original album and set me bach a pile of money.... but worth it....

Hi Chris!

Why so rare?? I dont know anything about the conflict, so what makes this one so rare?

How do you store your old photos?? Any problem with fading?

Hi,

You always get that one about the goodies and baddies wrong :)

Great photos, especially the baddies with the MG.

Hi Chris!

Why so rare?? I dont know anything about the conflict, so what makes this one so rare?

How do you store your old photos?? Any problem with fading?

Hi,

it is a home made Machine gun using a Mauser Rifle as a base... a one off things called the "Feksburg Maxim"... the guy who was under me in the bidding was writing a book on Mausers and asked for a copy for the book.

As far as fading goes, so far so good. They are more than 100 years old so they are doing OK.

best

Chris

Chris - I think you are wise not to post more of these - the ownership/copyright can quickly be lost with things on the internet.

These are some of the best photos I have seen from the conflict and their condition - in most cases clear and sharp. Several will be more valuable then the others - but - unless from originals already known about , they will seriously be in demand for book illustrations and TV programmes. They will just need to be marketed in the right way. Now that I have seen them, I would recommend that you split into mixed groups of ten or, fifteen.

ChrisLiontas asks a valid question about why the Boer War is important. Quite simply it was not a conflict - but a War that came to involve most of the major countries. For the first time Britain found herself fighting in a style far outside the experience of most of the Generals -we had to learn commando tactics, trench warfare and how to move quickly over , literally thousands of miles. Much of this experience was directly used in the 1st World War. Nearly all of our Dominions and Colonies contributed men and supplies - and again the lessons learned were put to good use in WW1. Eventually, over 750,000 men took part on the British side during the 4 years of the conflict.