News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great looking Blockade Breaker plaque Richard.

First one i have ever seen.It seems that these plaques were produced by all branches of the Kriegsmarine?

Now here is one i would like have in my collection. :whistle:

Regards,Martin.

Thanks Martin. I have seen another Blockade Breaker plaque similar to mine but with a different colour scheme, which appeared to be painted. The one I've shown has a heavy enamel finish with highlights probably painted on top of that.

That Cruiser plaque would be a nice one all right.

Richard

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...

These plaques from what I can tell are a uniquely German thought. I served in the Army and while I was in the States you never got a unit plaque. On my two German tours, the American units would sell these to you as a farewell gift. I have some fantastic hand carved and some with handcarved tile plaques from the unit items I served in. Everyone that rotated to Graf had their plaques hanging in the O Club. This all came to end starting around 1987. Units just refused to buy them, this was around the time we switched from the historical regimental lineage system to the new regimental system that was scrapped years ago. I always wondered if the commander's were ordered to stop such tradition when we went to the new regimental system.

In any case, this is a really nice collection. I ran across a plaque awhile ago which uncovered a long lost German Ace, 15 kills before killed in an accident. This plaque also proved the unit was based out of a Russion airfield that historians could only record the unit was "rumored" to have based there as there was no recorded proof of its ever being stationed there.

I would suspect they were rarely shown so they tend to get lost and thrown out. When on active duty, the plaques had a prominent place in our house. Now that I am out of the military, my wife prefers other art on the wall so my plaques are hanging in m finished basement where they are rarely viewed, except by me. My kids ask about them now and then but when I tell them what they are the don't seem as interested in them. So, I guess unless you had a presonal connection to these plaques, the chance of them finding their way to someone who will care about them as much as the original owner is very slim. This is what I suspect causes their rarity. For example, of the 1st BN, 2nd FA plaques, there were 10-20 produced a years since 1945. The unit disbanded in 1984. That allows for 400-800 plaques and I can only tell you where one of the is located. Who knows where it will be in another 23 years? My intent is for one of my children to have it, but as I said, they don't seem to have any real interest in it.

Tom

• 2 years later...

Dear All

Just picked up this u boat plaque from a local flohmarkt. I think it is a type IXC boat. On the conning tower has a small engraved KM battle flag and on the bottom deck a small deck gun attached.

Regards

moszi

Edited by moszi

Well, I have only recently acquired a nice ship wappen "Kreuzer Leipzig" It is my first plaque besides sailing plaques pre war issue.

I hope to add many more.

The other additions look great gentlemen.

Thanks,

Justin

Well,i managed to pick up a Hilfskreuzer plaque but this one was made postwar.

It is dedicated to Korv-Kapt Jung who was the 1st officer on the 1st cruise of the HK Thor.

One the reverse the names of Hans Baasch and Jupp Piedboef can be seen also,two former Thor crewmen.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Interesting items Erik! I presume you have been looking hard for these plaques! I add a picture from the area of Narvik very close to a fjord where a U-boot base was located!

The stones on the top of the mountain were put there by German sailors!

Dedehansen, very nice tile ship plaques.

moszi

I agree,

some great looking pieces Dede.

I really like the Marineflak plaque.

A very fine "individual" example.

Regards,Martin. .

Regards,Martin.

• 10 months later...