News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thank you Morten. I was wrongfully assuming that this black and white picture was from your current u-boot collection. I am truly sorry for that huge mistake, my bad, and please do not think less of me. If someone has additional "ubootschule" stuff to display, don't hesitate to upload it. 

Another thing worth noticing to all people interested in Kriegsmarine U-boot tradition badges: do not ever buy stuff from seller lowe08155 on (German) E-bay. I experienced that this "gentleman" is selling merely reproductions: 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mutzenabzeichen-Turmabzeichen-U-Boote-von-U-370/273746046615?hash=item3fbc892e97:g:uZoAAOSw-JtcfsQ9

https://uboat.net/special/emblems/emblem329.html

https://uboat.net/special/emblems/emblem330.htmly

Please do post the cap badges and plaques that you think are authentic, so we might all benefit from it in the future. There should be a death penalty on selling fake stuff on internet, or something that resembles it close enough. I'm no lawyer but this bitch should be hung on general principle. This is serious money spoiled.

23 hours ago, IJSBEER said:

Thank you Morten. I was wrongfully assuming that this black and white picture was from your current u-boot collection. I am truly sorry for that huge mistake, my bad, and please do not think less of me. If someone has additional "ubootschule" stuff to display, don't hesitate to upload it. 

Another thing worth noticing to all people interested in Kriegsmarine U-boot tradition badges: do not ever buy stuff from seller lowe08155 on (German) E-bay. I experienced that this "gentleman" is selling merely reproductions: 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mutzenabzeichen-Turmabzeichen-U-Boote-von-U-370/273746046615?hash=item3fbc892e97:g:uZoAAOSw-JtcfsQ9

https://uboat.net/special/emblems/emblem329.html

https://uboat.net/special/emblems/emblem330.htmly

Please do post the cap badges and plaques that you think are authentic, so we might all benefit from it in the future. There should be a death penalty on selling fake stuff on internet, or something that resembles it close enough. I'm no lawyer but this bitch should be hung on general principle. This is serious money spoiled.

Hi,

just nice you ask and it's nice and share knowledge.

Cheers, Morten.

• 5 months later...

I would like to share a piece I recently acquired.   This unit was in operation/Service from August 1940 to October 1944.  A lovely tile piece 16cmx16cm.  

I am not sure what the "OP Zoom" means. If you know, please share.  Thanks for looking

Best Regards,

JustinG

MARINELAZARETT BERGEN OP ZOOM.png

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope you are getting these at reproduction prices.  These badges are highly faked because many were onboard production using metal like brass or tin, crudely made in most cases.   Without provenance, you will never likely recoup your costs if you are paying what some of these items might be worth.   The stone cup is pure fantasy IMHO. The pin has so much detailing.  I feel that someone onboard would never have had the time to keep the mustache and cut out the space between shoulder and mustache, or that this detail would have survived being worn on a cap without snapping off.  The Georg Hogel book made it great for anyone with a rough idea of metal works to attempt to create castings of these awards.   Please be very careful with these emblem/wappen.

Best Regards,

JustinG

Thanks for posting your interesting plaques. Here's a leather "plaque" for the 4-Raumbootesflottille. I got the "plaque" along with the KM man's sidecap with the metal traditions badge still pinned on it.

KM Kanalflottille Leather Plaque with Sidecap Traditions Emblem.jpg

KM Kanalflottille Leather Plaque.jpg

Edited by Erik Krogh

Minesweeper plaque. It is 21 cm tall.

Minesweeper Badge Plaque001.jpg

On 09/03/2019 at 13:34, IJSBEER said:

The true colors to the "Unterseebootschule", first the postwar one:P2080455.JPG

u-schule.JPG

The "orange on blue" arrow is the icon generally associated with U-boat school - and used on its nazi stationary. The lower two plaques are for sale for 2000 euros total so they better have the right color! : )

Here is a photo from my collection with the U-Schule plaque mounted on the conningtower of a training boat.

U-Boat Conningtower With U-schule Plaque.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    On 23/09/2019 at 04:44, Erik Krogh said:

Minesweeper plaque. It is 21 cm tall.

Minesweeper Badge Plaque001.jpg

Here is a photo from my collection with the U-Schule plaque mounted on the conningtower of a training boat.

U-Boat Conningtower With U-schule Plaque.jpg

Thanks Eric for this picture. Had no idea of its existence but I have 2 somewhat similar pictures - one  displaying probably U-2,  with, I was told,  Rolf Dau (U-5), and perhaps the captain of U-2. Would be  nice to learn more about Neustadt U-Schule - not well documented. 

Could you tell me how a wooden plaque could withstand the water? I reckon that Neustadt was a fresh water basin for training purposes and never trained in salt water, but still, wood and water still do not match in my dumb mind.

U-schule Rolf Dau of U 5 and right is maybe Kdt. Herbert Schultze of U 2.jpg

On 17/09/2019 at 21:14, 2dresq said:

I really hope you are getting these at reproduction prices.  These badges are highly faked because many were onboard production using metal like brass or tin, crudely made in most cases.   Without provenance, you will never likely recoup your costs if you are paying what some of these items might be worth.   The stone cup is pure fantasy IMHO. The pin has so much detailing.  I feel that someone onboard would never have had the time to keep the mustache and cut out the space between shoulder and mustache, or that this detail would have survived being worn on a cap without snapping off.  The Georg Hogel book made it great for anyone with a rough idea of metal works to attempt to create castings of these awards.   Please be very careful with these emblem/wappen.

Best Regards,

JustinG

These two pieces were sold as post-war commemorative items  indeed -  quite the observation, sir. But I disagree with you, however,  that original cap badges (etc.) are necessarily without "too much detailing". A lot of original cap badges/plaques etc. carry an amazing degree of detail and craftsmanship in them, sometimes even more than Hogel's book could display (this is how you/one may tell an original from a fake). But no, on the contrary!  It was, in general, actually very "un-german" not to pay much attention to meticulous detailing (a lot of well crafted enamel badges were ordered by the Kriegsmarine ) - all in sheer contrast to the American mariners, who are said to have lacked (of were forbidden to stoop to) that kind of vain and childish fetish for decorum. I am not buying Ukranian metal cups with Kriegsmarine stamps on them on Ebay. But this stuff no doubt once belonged to an ex-crew of the U-393. I don't see why anyone would produce this to make a $40 profit. History didn't stop when the last U-boat was scuttled, is all I mean. Btw, you say they are 'highly faked', but I've never run into any other u-393 stuff before that was not somehow a rare object. 

Edited by IJSBEER

Greetings, I see you have posted in this topic as well.  This has some great examples and also some precautionary warnings from members about these tradition badges.   I am posting the link in-case some members don't know of this particular thread existence. 

Here you will see some examples of peoples  tradition badges from their collections.   Bottom line, if you are happy with the item, then that is what is important.

Best Regards,

JustinG

Edited by 2dresq
    Correction

• 1 month later...
    On 17/01/2010 at 18:46, Erik Krogh said:

here are some KM plaques from my collection. First up is a U-373 shield very similar to the one pictured on page 363 of "Torpedo los!" Interesting that the black cat logo is at the bottom, but 373 was attached to the 3rd flotilla, whose logo was the turtle. The lion shield on the top left is correct for the boat.

post-1206-126375040888.jpg

Hi Erik, do you have any idea about the plaque you see in my picture? Which boot, U-boot? Thanks 

IMG-20191121-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20191121-WA0018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Here is a photo postcard showing the wappen for the Torpedoboot Grief (Griffin)

My guess is exactly what Simi, said, that it would most likely be from the Mine layer Drache.  

I haven't seen the Gustav Becker markings on any foreign (Non-German) ships. (but that is not saying too much for someone in the field for only a decade or so.  :)

Nice piece though.  

JustinG  

Torpedoboot Grief with Wappen.png

• 2 months later...
    • 9 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...

Ludolf Petersen's plaque from the HSK Stier  Probably one of the most expensive and rare plaques. Nice to have it attributed as well.   This plaque was from Kai Winkler and House of History previously.  Just came in the mail today.  :)

Best Regards,

JustinG

watermarked Ludolf Petersen and HSK Stier Wappen.png

Edited by 2dresq
    Image did not load

Ludolf Petersen served on the Hamburg-America freighter "Kiel",which broke the British blockade in 1939.

He went on to serve as a prize officer on the "Lutzow" and "Admiral Scheer".

He then served as a prize officer on the Hilfskreuzer "Pinguin",and made it back to Bordeaux where he bacame the 1st officer on the "Stier".

Hence his awards.

I have a bunch of documents and photographs of crewmen from the "Stier".

Cheers,Martin.

Hi Martin W,

Yes, I have seen your photo before, it is a great one.  I couldn't pass this up for such an incredible attributed piece. Plus, It goes nicely with the other now 30 wappen I have in my collection.   Quite the illustrious career that Ludolf Petersen had.   The Hilfskreuzer branch of the Kriegsmarine is indeed one of fabled folklore. I know I am talking to the choir on this one.  Martin, I know you have an incredible collection of HSK documents, awards and artifacts.  I am indeed envious of that.   Cheers to you, thanks for reposting your photo of Ludolf Petersen.  

Best Regards,

JustinG

Thank you Justin and you are welcome.

I can't remember if i posted this one but it is a recently aquired photo of some STIER crewmen taken in Bordeaux.

Cheers,Martin.

Bordeaux 1_final.jpg

Justin,

your collection of Wappen is outstanding.

Cheers,Martin.

• 4 months later...
    On 03/03/2020 at 04:54, Fafnesbane said:

Anyone know which ship this was?

index.jpg

So, I saw on ebay there was a ship that had this crest.  This could be from Amazone after the refacing job.  This appears to be a postcard from 1929. Here is the ship. 

Foto - Marine Matrosen vor Schiff Wappen Kennung - 1929.png

crest Reichsmarine pony with rider.jpg

On 05/09/2016 at 15:48, 2dresq said:

My latest purchase.  Kreuzer Prinz Eugen Wappen. :)  I am so very happy to have this coming my way. :)

Thanks for looking.

2dresq

JustinG

Prinz Eugen Wappen.png

Very nice