News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting the Zulu flag. Of course this photo was post war colorized I presume. Wonder why that particular signal flag was chosen? Great photo though. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

JustinG

Greetings, So to finish with my Wappen, I have the Unterseebootsbeglietschiff Saar, the Bremse, the Jaguar, the Admiral Graf Spee, and the Schlachtschiff Scharnhorst.

The Wappen have become sort of my auxillary focus apart from the naval muetzenband of the Kriegsmarine. If anyone cares to liquidate or sell, I am in the market. :beer:

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

JustinG

• 2 years later...

Surviving the Bismarck's only voyage and the attack from the HMS Hood and Prince of Wales.

She was a lucky ship but she was also a troubled ship.  Crashing into the Kreuzer Leipzig and having it's stern blasted off by the HMS Trident's torpedo.  It also participated among the ships of Operation Cerberus. 

Would love to see the official report from the Leipzig and the Eugen captains explaining the actions that took place during this collision. 

Regards,
    JustinG

Prinz Eugen crashing into Leipzig.png

Prinz Eugen steering gear after HMS Trident .png

• 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Another plaque/wappen is on its way to me. From the Torpedoboot Grief. 

Very happy to add another one.  Thanks for looking.

JustinG

Grief Wappen obverse.JPG

Grief Wappen Maker mark.JPG

Edited by 2dresq
    Can't figure out why these are sideways.

• 7 months later...
    • 1 month later...

I have this new one.  It is rather common but I love the patina  of this piece.  

SMS or Linienschiff Schlesien. 

Gustav Becker Wappen Schleisen.png

Linienschiff Schlesien Wappen.jpeg

Edited by 2dresq
    Uploaded a better obverse shot.

• 5 months later...

Recently acquired this commemorative plaque (post-war but seemingly unique), formerly owned by one of the former crew of the U-490 (one of the 10 Milchkuhe/Milk Cow U-boats), now passed away, yet passed on to the German seller indirectly from which I bought it. It is plastic on wood, but it is the same one as shown in the URL's below mentioned I fairly reckon:

https://uboot-recherche.de/media/Default/Uploaded/bootsbilder/U490.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=U-490&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT_dOAx6_gAhVKYVAKHUYmDkcQ_AUIESgE&biw=1164&bih=496#imgrc=Y7d4H0oSs5LjKM:

Georg Högel's U-boat Emblems of World War II 1939-1945 doesn't show any colors so probably these are the true colors, albeit less fluorescent in them days of old.

I have noticed around some modern cloth patch of this emblem on Ebay but without the swastika among other things. That is all I could find on it. Would be nice to know if there are people here who can tell me more about this U-boot.

Much obliged,

IJS

IMG_20190209_162157.jpg

IMG_20190209_162210.jpg

Greetings,  Well, as a commemorative piece, I would not believe so.  The removal of the swastika would have been most likely done for this, especially if this was going to be a "reunion piece".  I have yet to see a plastic casting on a piece of wood.  Most of the ones I have are cast from wood, ceramic or metallic.   The links and google searches showed a great history as well as from a commemorative/memorial page for the USS Frost, the ship credited with the sinking of U-490.  http://ussfrost.homestead.com/

She had an extremely short career as you know.  Something about this has me a bit suspicious.  A crew of 53 to have a plaque like this is also an extremely small number especially with such a short operational career.  Torpedoboats are the next smallest ship that I have seen to have pieces, They had over 100 men serving and a much longer service history.   There have been a few U-flottille crests but many of those have been painted and solid metal or they were Quimper tiles painted.  I have a Unterseebootstender Saar crest, it was shown earlier in the thread.

Here is a reunion piece that is from 1980, notice the swastika has been removed from the Uboat badge.  This is from the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago Illinois where U-505 resides. 

I am just sharing my observations and my opinions. 

Best Regards,

JustinG

IMG_4279.jpg

Here is a metallic Deutschland one I picked up a year or so ago. Pretty heavy sucker. 

JustinG

Panzerschiff Deutschland wappen.jpg

Reverse Panzerschiff Deutschland.jpg

Edited by 2dresq
    Grammatical error

On 12/02/2019 at 01:03, 2dresq said:

Greetings,  Well, as a commemorative piece, I would not believe so.  The removal of the swastika would have been most likely done for this, especially if this was going to be a "reunion piece".  I have yet to see a plastic casting on a piece of wood.  Most of the ones I have are cast from wood, ceramic or metallic.   The links and google searches showed a great history as well as from a commemorative/memorial page for the USS Frost, the ship credited with the sinking of U-490. 

Much appreciated your honest input there, Justin. I am sure it is plastic, since I truly think it isn't bakelite. I hadn't preciously come across vibrant colors like this used in ww2 pieces so let's just assume its post-war. But why would there be made only one? Who in his right mind would fake this and why would this same piece consequently show up on two websites concerning this topic? If you behold the black and white pictures, it is the same plastic piece. I care about the value that it represents but more so I'm interested in the true colors that it once had on its conning tower. George Hogel sometimes was completely bewildered when it came to these colors and I guess we have quite some left to be filled in.

Edited by IJSBEER

• 3 weeks later...

The true colors to the "Unterseebootschule", first the postwar one:P2080455.JPG

u-schule.JPG

The "orange on blue" arrow is the icon generally associated with U-boat school - and used on its nazi stationary. The lower two plaques are for sale for 2000 euros total so they better have the right color! : )

This mint green thing is an original cap badge to U-172. It seems as if it deviates from the usual portrayal of this emblem. This, however, is a genuine logo, as the "schirmmütze" proves. Contrary to popular believe, the deity blowing that horn isn't Poseidon/Neptune but instead is TRITON.  I will pay over $250 for an original picture of u-172... when it rocks my moneymaker.

Schermafbeelding 2019-03-09 om 22.44.02.png

13 hours ago, IJSBEER said:

Lol! Was merely demonstrating that I found the answer to me own question. Could you, if not too much to ask, show yours in color, nesredep?

Hi,

Just ask when I think it's okay to help. Picture is in black and white so difficult with colors.

Cheers, Morten.