News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"The Arab Legion 1923-57" James Lunt.

elephant12

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a copy or access to this book? Ranjit.

To anyone reading this. I answered the query in post one saying I would help and this is the reply / questions Ranjit wanted answers for:

thanks for replying,there are a few bits of info i would like to find out and i was wondering if this book would have them.I know the legion wore a spiked helmet with neck flap (tunic/breeches uniform) in the 1930s,what i would like to find out is,would this helmet be worn on active/field service or replaced by the traditional headcloth.The camel mounted troops wore the headcloth.Any photos showing this? (not the mounted troops).I would guess the headcloth would be worn as the helmet doesn't look too practical. I've seen photos of Legionaries wearing the headcloth and battledress uniform.

My second question would be when did the Legion start to wear or receive the British battledress uniform? -late 1940/early 1941?If you can help out at all it would be appreciated

I couldn't help as the book is not helpful, but said I knew someone who may know.

Ranjit, I messaged your questions to my friend as I said I would. Here's his reply:

Fraid I can't help all that much. The pre-war details of the legion are very vague. In his books Glubb Pasha only talks about what was worn by the Desert Patrol i.e. traditional Beduin robes and headress.

I am sure the helmet rarely took the field if ever.It was worn until quite recently by the police in blue.

Battledress - I would say probably in the expansion period after the Iraq campaign.

Best picture reference is Osprey's Men at Arms.

Hope that's a tiny help

Anyone else able to help our man out regarding his questions? Also a silly question for Ranjit, but have you seen the great posts on this forum regarding the Legion, especially the one by Peter Suciu regarding his helmet?

Edited by tynesideirish

Hello again Mike, Just what i was thinking, the helmet doesn't seem too practical,and i know the Saudi Arabian army of the time based their uniform on the Arab Legion uniform , and the Saudis wore the cloth headdress. Ranjit.