News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Records for the Hong Kong Police Force before 1941

Alfred Robert Brittain

born Coventry 4.5.1900

Enlisted in HKP 23.11.1923 as PC A 176,later promoted to L/Sgt, Police Sgt and on 3.3.1938 to Sub Inspector

During Japanese invasion of Hong Kong he served as the Police Liason Officer to the Kowloon Brigade.Interned in Stanley Civilian Internment Camp for the duration, awarded Colonial Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal wef 23.11.1941.Shared accomodation there with Sub Insps Salter and White.Retired from the force wef 8.1.1947

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone

I am currently in Hong Kong and keen to trace any records of my grandfather who was an Indian policeman here from I think 1926 to 1946, when he went to india and became embroiled in partition and never made it back to his position in Hong Kong. I know he did not receive a pension because he was considered to be a deserter.

His name was imam Mohammad DOB 1.1.15 although this might be arbitrary. I think is his badge no was B 613. He reached the rank crown sergeant to my knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My email is zubir.ahmed@gmail.com and no is 07966103440 in the UK.

I can confirm that a number of Indian Police ( badge prefix B including B 620 and B 623) were enlisted on the 26th November 1926 but can find no trace of B 613.He should have been entitled to the Colonial Police Long Service Medal wef 26.11.1944 but this would not have been processed until post war and,according to what you say about his activities,it is unlikely it was awarded.

If anything about him still exists I would expect notice of his resignation/dismissal to be contained in the immediate post-war Police Force Orders.You may find copies of these at the Police Museum,Coombe Road,on Hong Kong Island.You could also approach the Personnel Wing of Police HQ,Arsenal Street.But in either case don't expect too much.Good hunting !

Thanks 1314. My dad thinks his no might have been B623. Do you have anymore information on this? Just been to police museum no luck there. They suggested public relations at wan chai police HQ.

can I ask where you get your information from?