News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

White Metal chin chain

Can anyone please help?

I'm trying to locate a white metal chin chain & cruciform spike base to restore a ceremonial police helmet.

The photo's below will show what I'm looking for.

normalnewcastlesenior2.jpgnormalnewcastlesenior3.jpg

Any help & advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi - Dave and welcome to GMIC. The spikes are not easy to find because they are slightly different to the Army versions. Have you tried ebay in UK ? Also, see if some of the police dealers can help - they often advertise in the Armourer, which is sold in most main newsagents.

Hi Mervyn,

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been trying ebay without any luck for a while now. The white metal chains I've seen so far must be popular as I've been outbid every time.

As for the cruciform spike base, the only version I've seen is the brass military version.

I suppose I can only hope that someone may have a damaged Militia/Volunteer helmet that I could salvage the white metal fittings from.

Dave.

The reason the metal chin chains are nearly always missing is that the wives and girlfriends took them for bracelets. Similarly, you rarely get a silver or, gold pocket watch with it's chain - they get used for necklaces. Should I come across one I will let you know. By the way - which Force is this helmet for ?

Looks like City of Newcastle Police.

The force dropped the traditional helmet from its uniform in the 1950s. Helmets we re-introduced upon amalgamation with the various county borough and county forces to create Northumbria Police.

Edited by NickLangley

That's correct Nick. The helmet shown is a senior officers ceremonial helmet of the Newcastle-upon-Tyne City Police & dates from the 1930's.

Prior to that date the helmet plate was a slightly larger version.

Mervyn, that's interesting news about the dissapearence of the chains, I wondered where they all went!

On a further note, when the British Army discontinued the use of the Blue Cloth Home Servce Helmet a lot of them were bought by various Police Forces around the country & adapted for their own use.

I'll have to get a decent camera & take some shots of my collection. Amongst it I have the "Zebra" cap you mention.

Before the striped band was introduced they wore an even larger cap badge which also doubled as the helmet plate.

Dave and Nick - something for you to think about - and yes, I am being a little contentious.....

Are we sure this helmet is for a senior officer ? Yes, the 'furniture' looks of the quality - but, not the helmet. Without the fittings I would have said P.C.'s pattern - senior officers - at that time - usually had silver trim to the rim and some mark of rank on the peak.

Would it be possible to see a photo of the inside ? Sorry about the question - but, it keeps you off the streets !!

Hi Mervyn,

I took the photo's from a Police Memrabilia collectors site where it was described as a Senior Officers helmet. There are no shots of the inside of the helmet.

Looking at the description again it mentions the fittings being of white metal, a Senior Officers would have been silver wouldn't they?

The style of helmet itself was never worn as an "everyday" helmet by Newastle Police. They originally wore the "Rose" top helmet & then changed to the "Ball" top.

It is possible that the ceremonial helmet was produced for special occasions for use by Constables & Sergeants.

I've attached photo's of the Victorian "Rose" top & later "Ball" top wich is shown with the black night fittings.