News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Canadian Mounted Police badges and uniforms

Additional belt pics (2 of 2)

Hi Ed,

Regarding your two shoulder patches, the Auxiliary patch dates between 1963 to 1978, however by the looks of it, I think it is from the later 1960s. The smaller RCMP bilingual patch is the 1974 pattern.

As for the Sam Brown you just bought - I have never seen RCMP stamped on any, but rather MP. The Sam Brown however does look perfectly legitimate, and the stamping could have been done by anyone after it was issued.

Greg

Two very nice pieces Ed and in lovely condition. All of this for $23 - thats only about 20P in 'real' money ! You were very lucky they were still there - I think the lesson is that these days when you see a bargain you have to make a quick decision.

Greg,

Thanks for your input. Might you be able to give me a possible value for the holster and belt? I realize value is "in the eye of the buyer" but would appreciate any comments.

Thanks also for the info on the patches.

Ed

• 1 month later...

I have a question.

Are RCMP ID wallet "Retirement" badges scarce? I find very few are ever for sale in the states. I have a collection of retirement badges and would like to ad to this collection with a RCMP badge.

Johnny R.

I don't believe I have ever seen one but would guess they are VERY scarce.

Ed

• 1 month later...

Question:

Is this (current) RCMP/GRC "retirement badge" the same size as the regular RCMP/GRC issued ID wallet badge? I' seen some of these badges that have the word "Veteran" at the top...why is that?

Are these badges rare to obtain for a Canadian collector?

Johnny R.

post-10162-051727900 1291170278_thumb.jp

Question:

Is this (current) RCMP/GRC "retirement badge" the same size as the regular RCMP/GRC issued ID wallet badge? I' seen some of these badges that have the word "Veteran" at the top...why is that?

Are these badges rare to obtain for a Canadian collector?

Johnny R.

post-10162-051727900 1291170278_thumb.jp

Johnny,

VERY nice item. Do you actually have this one or did you just get the opportunity to take a picture of one?

I would be willing to say they would be rare to obtain for ANY collector!

(BTW: Got an extra you want to get rid of?):whistle:

Ed

Hi Johhny R,

I think that the badge you have is of one of the many reproduction/fake badges that have been made over the years. Originals are almost impossible to find as the Retired guys are pretty proud of the fact that they were in the force and once they pass away the family tends to hang on to the badge as a family keepsake.

What is on the reverse of the badge you have ? Any hallmark or fixings?

All designs of the 'Official' I.D. badges have been faked to varying dagrees of quality ,from really poor to even better than an original.

Regards,

Les

Hi Johhny R,

I think that the badge you have is of one of the many reproduction/fake badges that have been made over the years. Originals are almost impossible to find as the Retired guys are pretty proud of the fact that they were in the force and once they pass away the family tends to hang on to the badge as a family keepsake.

What is on the reverse of the badge you have ? Any hallmark or fixings?

All designs of the 'Official' I.D. badges have been faked to varying dagrees of quality ,from really poor to even better than an original.

Regards,

Les

The actual badge is in another location (FL) I'll have to check when I get there. I would even like to have even a good reproduction of this badge (for a filler) for my collections. I've never have seen any of these for sale or even available on the badge collecting market (real or repro). Some say this is an obsolete version of the RCMP ID badge (?) Is there a new version out there? What do these things run for ($) cost wise?

Johnny R.

Edited by johnnyrocket

Johnny R,

Have you tried contacting the Press Office of the RCMP for a photo of their current I.D. Badge, I have found them very helpful with info and photos in the past, however with the current problems in the world they may not be willing to provide the information from a security point of view but it is worth asking.

It is difficult to value these badges as Canadians value them higher than anyone else, which is probably understandable. I have seen them offered in the past at about the same value as an LAPD series 6 badge, so it really does come down to how much you want to pay.

Can the seller not provide you with a photo of the back of the badge before you get there?

Regards,

Les

Johnny R,

Have you tried contacting the Press Office of the RCMP for a photo of their current I.D. Badge, I have found them very helpful with info and photos in the past, however with the current problems in the world they may not be willing to provide the information from a security point of view but it is worth asking.

It is difficult to value these badges as Canadians value them higher than anyone else, which is probably understandable. I have seen them offered in the past at about the same value as an LAPD series 6 badge, so it really does come down to how much you want to pay.

Can the seller not provide you with a photo of the back of the badge before you get there?

Regards,

Les

Hi Les,

Those series 6 LAPD badges go for big money. I'll try to get an image of the reverse sent to me...or find out what's on the back (hallmarks, etc.) I've also seen "Veterans" RCMP badges (?) what ever that is...wonder what the difference between "Veterans and Retired" versions are" From what I'm able to geather from the internet The image of the Retirement Badge in question is of the current issued design. Trying to get information out of the authorities is useless and frustrating, the collecting community knows so much more in this area of expertise.

Johnny R.

Johnny R,

The Veterens badges are for members of the RCMP Veterens Association, like the VFW in the U.S. , some collectors consider them an issued item and others don't, as all these guys are no longer employed by the RCMP. The fact that you don't have to join makes it a Fraternal Organisation. So it would be up to you as a collector to figure out wether there badges belong in your collection. I would think that it would not be as big a problem to get a Veterens badge.

If your photograph is of the current I.D. badge ,then it is more important that you get details of the back of the badge. This would be the 5th design of I.D. badge and the easiest to fake to an acceptable standard, which would be a negative to the collectors of issued items.

What website has the image of the current I.D. badge ? I am always interested in new info.

Regards,

Les

Thanks Les for the information.

As far as a official RCMP web site having any of the issued RCMP badges (all 5 designs together)— there is not any as far as I know. I only assume that this is the current issued badge—because this is the design used for the mini and "charm bracelet" badge items you see for sale from the official RCMP gift sites...I would assume that they would manufacture the current designed version for sale and not an older version of the ID wallet badge.

Johnny R.

This is the older obsolete 4th version design:

post-10162-070099100 1291248079_thumb.jp

Edited by johnnyrocket

Johnny R,

The badge you show as the 4th version does not conform to any official design of the Identification Badge. However it could be an official retired badge, but I don't see this as being likely for the simple reason that they would not go to the expense of producing another badge, when all they need to do is replace the number with RETIRED. Further if it were an official retired badge ,it would be an old one as they are no longer called the RCMP.

The VETERAN badge is close to the current design of members I.D. badge. This design is the 4th version.

I'll have another look through my source material for other designs other than official ones.

The two shown earlier in this thread may be fake as well, maybe a serving RCMP member that has visited the Museum could answer the question on what the I.D. badge looks like.

Les

• 3 weeks later...

:latest RCMP Image.png]

The actual badge is in another location (FL) I'll have to check when I get there. I would even like to have even a good reproduction of this badge (for a filler) for my collections. I've never have seen any of these for sale or even available on the badge collecting market (real or repro). Some say this is an obsolete version of the RCMP ID badge (?) Is there a new version out there? What do these things run for ($) cost wise?

Johnny R.

No markings on the back, but very well made with two catch pins on the reverse of the badge. Given to Retirees of the RCMP

.post-10162-010347800 1292816985_thumb.jp

post-10162-007247200 1293504466_thumb.pn

Edited by johnnyrocket

• 7 months later...

We have apologised to Paul - however, with no posts since December, we feel this topic has to be un-pinned.

Keep adding new threads and maintain interest and it will remain high on the list.

OK, Does anyone have a current image (5th design version of this badge) of the RCMP wallet (Carry) badge?

I've since learned that the "RCMP Wallet Badge" has the center Shield Emblem is in silver on the

issued badge. Is this information correct?

The retirement badge I have does not have any markings on the reverse of the badge.

Johnny R.

Edited by johnnyrocket