News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Missing in action

I am working on a number of projects with GMIC folks at the moment, including one that will be on researching Iron Cross documents. It should be a great read when finished.

This is as yet unresearched, but for the British collectors out there... you know how interesting a first day of the Somme casaulty is.... :D

This is to Gefr Jost... first from his pass... missing in action on the first day of the Somme, the Ulster division wiped out the left flank of his company as they stormed towards the Schwaben Redoubt.

He was badly wounded, POW, and came back to germany in part of a POW trade in October 1916 (amputees, blinded etc were sometimes traded back as they could no longer fight.)

Of course, the big advantage German collectors have over those who colect British medals, the dealer was not interested in the contents at all, just the print style of the EK doc.

If it were a Brit group something like that would raise the price by 3 or more times the face value.

Gefreiter Otto Mebus of 7. Kompagnie Infanterie-Regiment 180, 26. Reserve-Division, was a few clicks south at Ovillers in the area attacked by 8th and 34th Division at the time, but survived to receive his EK2 at the end of the month. This document is also part of the research project. I have a 40 page pamphlet published in 1917 on the exploits of IR180 on the Somme until November, which will provide much detail not available elsewhere.

[attachmentid=19701]

He received the wound badge in black in November 1918:

[attachmentid=19700]

Very interesting. Dave, I have an EK1 awarded to a Vizefeldwebel on 28/8/1917 from the 2d Company, 180th Infantry RGT. I have looked everywhere for the regimental history but no luck so far.

Don

Inside is his KO issue EK1 in mint condition. He must have sent it straight home. Any info you have relating to him, or his unit would be greatly appreiciated.

thanks

Don

Don,

There may be something on the regiment at that period in "Die W?rttemberger im Weltkrieg", which is a compendium of articles and essays on various W?rttemberg units. I'll see what I can find.

The division was fighting in Flanders at the time of his award in August 1917.

David

His EK2, awarded after he was invalided out.

Chris,

Interesting grouping! At first glance, I thought the guy was in a Prussian unit, and the "RIR 8" designation lead me to think that until I saw the Bavarian stamp at the bottom of one of the docs. No Bavarian decorations to the guy?

Les

Chris,

Interesting grouping! At first glance, I thought the guy was in a Prussian unit, and the "RIR 8" designation lead me to think that until I saw the Bavarian stamp at the bottom of one of the docs. No Bavarian decorations to the guy?

Les

Les,

Just above the stamp you mentioned there is an entry for the MVK3 in 1915.

David

Don,

There may be something on the regiment at that period in "Die W?rttemberger im Weltkrieg", which is a compendium of articles and essays on various W?rttemberg units. I'll see what I can find.

The division was fighting in Flanders at the time of his award in August 1917.

David

Don,

26. Reserve-Division was one of four W?rttemberg divisions that saw very heavy action in Flanders from late August to mid September 1917. "Die W?rttemberger im Weltkrieg" really only mentions it in passing and refers to the various regimental histories for further details. I'll sort out some more divisional overviews with OOBs and a list of battles and engagements and post them over the Christmas break.

The map below shows the advances made during the German counter-attacks in the area where your man was at the time he received his EK1. Keep looking for that regimental history as it will almost certainly discuss the events there in some detail. The history was published in Stuttgart in 1931 and was written by Vischer, who also wrote the pamphlet I mention above.

David

[attachmentid=19720]

That's much later striped paper tape being used to reinforce that very fragile looking box as well.... Nice to see this family valued the piece enough to try to preserve the history. A nice change of pace, even with the "adulterations".

What a coincidence that after looking for a particular regimental history (IR 180) for two years I found it last night on a site that Detlev gave me at the MAX two uears ago. I have checked that site every week for the last two years to no avail but it was there last night and is currently on hold for me. MTF

Don

What a coincidence that after looking for a particular regimental history (IR 180) for two years I found it last night on a site that Detlev gave me at the MAX two uears ago. I have checked that site every week for the last two years to no avail but it was there last night and is currently on hold for me. MTF

Don

:cheers:

Don,

Can you post or PM the URL?

Ta in advance,

David

• 1 year later...