News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Postcard image of 5 Officers

Thought I would share this postcard with you I acquired some time ago.

It shows 5 officers of various Regiments and Corps.

Written on the rear is the following:

"Taken recentley behind the lines" Kind regards.

G (S)? Short 2/LT 6th The Queens R W S Regt. 1917

I am assuming that this is the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment as the officer 1st left back row has the cap badge of this regiment and maybe the writer of this card? The other 2 in the back row have I believe cap badges to the East Surrey regt.

The Officer seated front left is R. A. and his companion on the right is Royal Engineers.

The R.A. officer seems to be miles away in thought?

I wonder where their adventures took them all? As there is no location recorded on the back I can only guess somewhere in France or Flanders?

I can't make out any cap badges, the man standing centre rear seems to have a dipped scrollt the base of his badge similar to that of the Loyal North Lancs?

Leigh, after using a magnifying glass and x 15 eyeglass and consulting my book on cap badges I am fairly certain (not 100%) that the officer standing centre and the one to the right are both East Surrey. The 2 badges do have dipped scrolls but the East Surrey has a 7 point star topped with a crown.

Both the 6th service battalion of the Queens Royal West Surrey and the East Surrey regiment took part in the Battle of Arras April 1917 so the picture could have been taken in that area?

Regards, Muckaroon cheers.gif