News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

POLICE SWORD - STH. AFRICAN POLICE

Mervyn Mitton

South Africa became a Republic in 1961 and at about the same time Britain imposed an arms embargo. This resulted in the stopping of imported swords - the firm of Wilkinson in Britain being the main supplier. Officers for the South African Defence Force and the South African Police carried swords in full dress at this time. After the change of Government in 1994 swords were taken away - although the Territorial Regiments still have them for their officers' and senior N.C.O.'s.

To obtain new swords, firms in Solingen, Germany were asked to supply - which they did. The standard set for the Police was for a higher quality than the Army - theirs were only plated - the Police were stainless steel. The one shown here is for officers' below General - there was a better quality for the higher ranks. They were stamped on one forte with the S.A. Arms and on the reverse the maker's mark and the lettering SAP + the issue number. This one is 0145 - so, would have been in the first batch.

The hilt is similar to the British Artillery three bars. Whilst adequate for ceremonial, the quality is not high - although they are sought after for collections - being in limited numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mervyn, and Gentlemen & Ladies -

I hope you dont mind me posting this here but it seems appropriate.

I picked this little collection up at a recent auction - sword, three medals and two accompanying certificates to a Major in the SAP. I am assuming retired now.

The sword is etched with the old SA Coat of Arms and a Soligen logo, otherwise the sword is very similar to the one shown by you.

The sword is in very good condition, and has its frog, portepee and leather scabbard

The three medals are the South African Police Medal for Faithful Service (# SA 44 in Medal Year Book) - instituted 1963. I am guessing that it is paired with the 10 year service certificate. the second is the South African Police Star for Faithful Service (# SA 45) - instituted 1979, and here I am placing it with the 20 year certificate. The third medal is the SAP 75th Anniversary Medal.

All the medals are named. I have blanked out the recipient's name in the photographs only because that is how they were advertised, and I am a little unsure if I should now show it - but I suppose the items are legally mine ...

best regards

Thomas

Hi - Thomas. You should have recognised the one I posted. Yours is interesting in that I don't think it is Police. Obviously carried by the officer and very nice to have his medals and certificates. However, why I think it may be for the old Union Defence Force, is that there are no markings for SAP - which were - to my knowledge - standard. However UDF only had the SA Arms. The sword is in great condition - I can't see the 'knot' well, but it looks to be the SA pattern, which didn't swell into a 'teardrop' - but finished off with the leather having little cuts.

Haven't seen you GMIC for a while - is all well ?