News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ROYAL REGT. OF ARTILLERY

My God, Mervyn, you get the highest possible marks for posting this! Not only is it of broad and high interest, but it appears that it is almost inaccessible by other means. In the Navy, we would give you a heartfelt Bravo Zulu (and buy you a cold beverage of your choice).

Many thanks,

Hugh

Great stuff Merv, we need a "general" thread on The Royal Artillery too (I still have'nt got around to starting one off).

What's the dtae of publication? Somewhere around 1900 I take it?

Post no. 13 is a duplicate of no. 12, do you need to replace the image n post 13 with a different one or to delete the post?

Thanks - guys. I'll try to do the other half next week - but it is a lot for me at one go. Leigh, the book was published in 1897 - the artist was a young R.A. officer - who was obviously an artist and history buff. I didn't think a lot of his faces - but, it is the uniforms which count - and, he gives refs. for authenticity of each one. I knew I had acc. pressed send twice and was going to ask someone for help - are you able to delete ? If so, thankyou.

I had wondered why RA didn't have a thread from you - let me finish all of the uniforms and then all the other info. will fall into place. Do you think I should do a separate post - or, continue on this one ? I don't want it to run too far.

Merv.

Does this mean you'd get him drunk & make him do the Zulu Warrior?

I'm afraid to ask what the Zulu Warrior might be! Bravo Zulu is the Navy's signal for well done. It can be conveyed by flashing light (Morse), radio or signal flags. There is also still a signal for "Splice the main brace", but I have forgotten what it is (Fell into disuse after Josephus Daniels of ill fame barred alcohol from US Navy ships).

Just to bring it back on topic, all you Redlegs and cannon cockers should remember that it all started with the Royal Navy going ashore to accompany the PBI on his misadventures on foreign shores. Hence, the "Matross" referred to in one of Merv's posts. (Matrose = sailor in German)

Merv - superb reference material here. I take it that the reference to the "plates being destroyed" must be the "printers plates". Hopefully the original artwork survived and is residing in the RA Museum, as it would be a sad loss indeed if they too were destroyed.

Hugh,

Guess you must be a Yank and ex-US Navy. The "Zulu Warrior" is a traditional British service dance, performed when totally out of your head with grog and usually performed in foreign ports. The principle participant/victim is usually to be found at the loftiest spot being urged on by his shipmates/service colleagues singing "Haul'em down you Zulu Warrior, Haul'em down you Zulu Chief - Chief - Chief" etc, etc. Best I ever saw was performed on the top of the PX at the U.S.Naval Base in Puerto Rico. Oh! almost fogot the individual concerned is always bollock naked at the end dancing around like a lunatic.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Merv - superb reference material here. I take it that the reference to the "plates being destroyed" must be the "printers plates". Hopefully the original artwork survived and is residing in the RA Museum, as it would be a sad loss indeed if they too were destroyed.

Hugh,

Guess you must be a Yank and ex-US Navy. The "Zulu Warrior" is a traditional British service dance, performed when totally out of your head with grog and usually performed in foreign ports. The principle participant/victim is usually to be found at the loftiest spot being urged on by his shipmates/service colleagues singing "Haul'em down you Zulu Warrior, Haul'em down you Zulu Chief - Chief - Chief" etc, etc. Best I ever saw was performed on the top of the PX at the U.S.Naval Base in Puerto Rico. Oh! almost fogot the individual concerned is always bollock naked at the end dancing around like a lunatic.

Sounds a little like High Cockalorum (sp?)

Hugh,

I was thinking of it performed in conjunction with "The Flaming A"......

Thanks - guys. I'll try to do the other half next week - but it is a lot for me at one go. Leigh, the book was published in 1897 - the artist was a young R.A. officer - who was obviously an artist and history buff. I didn't think a lot of his faces - but, it is the uniforms which count - and, he gives refs. for authenticity of each one. I knew I had acc. pressed send twice and was going to ask someone for help - are you able to delete ? If so, thankyou.

I had wondered why RA didn't have a thread from you - let me finish all of the uniforms and then all the other info. will fall into place. Do you think I should do a separate post - or, continue on this one ? I don't want it to run too far.

Merv.

Duplicate post deleted Merv, I'd keep going on this thread if I were you, keep the publication together as a dedicated thread.

I've started off a thread on RA insignia, photos etc - another one of those things I keep meaning to do......along with RAOC, cavalry regiments, infantry regiments.........

The llustration of "The Royal Artilley Drum Major 1840" in post no. 1 was printed as a large postcard "Drum Major Royal Artillery 1848" by the RA Printing Press Ltd, London SE28 OAQ, about 1960's?

Edited by leigh kitchen