News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jubilee (Police) Medal 1887

Hello Everyone,

I made an erroneous purchase a few weeks ago. I thought I was purchasing a Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal 1897 and when it arrived I realized I had mistaken the 8 for a 9 and now had my second 1887 Jubilee Medal; the second now in my collection though this one was without the 1897 clasp. So, being a true collector, I got over the error in about 1/2 a microsecond and now have added it to the police collection. :whistle:

The medal was awarded to; PC. C. Fairbrass P. Division

I wish all errors were as fine as this one, next step...look for the 1897 and read more carefully. :blush:

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I made an erroneous purchase a few weeks ago. I thought I was purchasing a Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal 1897 and when it arrived I realized I had mistaken the 8 for a 9 and now had my second 1887 Jubilee Medal; the second now in my collection though this one was without the 1897 clasp. So, being a true collector, I got over the error in about 1/2 a microsecond and now have added it to the police collection. 2014.gif

The medal was awarded to; PC. C. Fairbrass P. Division

I wish all errors were as fine as this one, next step...look for the 1897 and read more carefully. blush.gif

Regards

Brian

Probably not such a bad purchase after all.There were three Fairbrass at this time,I think your man is in fact Robert Fairbrass,Warrant 64928,elisted 20.09.1880 as PC in P Div (Camberwell).Awarded the following 1887 Jub as PC P Division,1897 Jub (clasp) as Inspector L Div (quick promotion),1902 as Inspector T Division,retired to pension on 1.11.1902 as Sub Div Inspector T Division,recalled to duty for 1911 Coronation on 16.6.1911 with warrant number 03598 and awarded 1911 Coronation medal as Inspector. - Regards 1314

I just double checked the naming and it is "C".

Regards

Brian

No " C" Fairbrass listed in ' The Metropolitan Police,the Men and their Medals " by J H F Kemp, Frederick 79170,Stephen 93471 and Robert 64928/03598. The 1897 bar could have been removed.Robert is in the 1902 Census,b Tipperary,Ireland,listed as Police Inspector.

Can anyone check other sources to confirm ? - 1314

Guest pikemedals

hi brian you officer is cornelius fairbrass warrant number is 62076 i have the police orders print out for fairbrass name.all i can find on him is on the 06/08/1891 pc.c.fairbrass p division to ps.c.fairbrass g division. and here come the good bit about him on the 17/06/1895 ps.c.fairbradss g division dismissed look like he was a bad boy. you got a nice one there mate paul

hi brian you officer is cornelius fairbrass warrant number is 62076 i have the police orders print out for fairbrass name.all i can find on him is on the 06/08/1891 pc.c.fairbrass p division to ps.c.fairbrass g division. and here come the good bit about him on the 17/06/1895 ps.c.fairbradss g division dismissed look like he was a bad boy. you got a nice one there mate paul

Hello pikemedals,

Thank you for this information. I would never have found this out living here in Canada. It's an interesting bit of history as well. This would explain why he did not receive the 1897 clasp.

You've made my day. :jumping:

Regards and cheers :cheers:

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hello pikemedals,

Thank you for this information. I would never have found this out living here in Canada. It's an interesting bit of history as well. This would explain why he did not receive the 1897 clasp.

You've made my day. jumping.gif

Regards and cheers cheers.gif

Brian

If you Google Cornelius Fairbrass you will find mention of him giving evidence in a 1884 Old Bailey Court Case (41229)described as " Policeman P R 5 ",vide www.oldbaileyonline.org.. - 1314

Guest pikemedals

dear brian i will be going to the national archives one day next week and I will look up the date for when PC Fairbrass was dismissed in the police orders for you. Sometimes it gives the reason why he was dismissed from the police. If you have got any more officers, I may have some info on them, such as warrant numbers and movement between divisions and promotions. Let me know if you need any further help although I cannot guarantee getting any results. Paul.

dear brian i will be going to the national archives one day next week and I will look up the date for when PC Fairbrass was dismissed in the police orders for you. Sometimes it gives the reason why he was dismissed from the police. If you have got any more officers, I may have some info on them, such as warrant numbers and movement between divisions and promotions. Let me know if you need any further help although I cannot guarantee getting any results. Paul.

That would be great Paul, thank you very much.

The only other Metropolitian Police Medal I have is the 1887 Jubilee with the 1897 clasp to PC B.(Bernard) Bowen A DIVN.

I know his first name as it is on his Special Constabulary LSGC Medal. If you could find out if there is any information on him as will it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Regards

Brian

That would be great Paul, thank you very much.

The only other Metropolitian Police Medal I have is the 1887 Jubilee with the 1897 clasp to PC B.(Bernard) Bowen A DIVN.

I know his first name as it is on his Special Constabulary LSGC Medal. If you could find out if there is any information on him as will it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Regards

Brian

I don't wish to jump the gun but here's all I can find on Bernard Bowen Warrant 82609 enl 19.6.1897 as Police Constable in C.O (Commissioner's Office Scotland Yard).

Apparently a rejoinee following earlier service,recalled for the 1897 Jubilee celebrations. - 1314

Guest pikemedals

hi all, for the 1897 rejoined officers in the police orders.all have a 7 day rejoin in the co division.i have a 1902 medal to a pc h gibbs k division.he join for less than a year.but he rejoin for the 1902 cornation.his 2 warrant number are 76749 and 621 paul

Guest pikemedals

hi 1314,i see you got kemp book on the met can you up 4 officer warrant numbers for me please.1st pc j wagstaff J division 1902 medal.2nd pc w whybrew T division 1887 medal.3rd pc.f.loftin L.division.1897 & 1902 & 1911 medals & the last one is pc/ps/ps.h irvin G & E division 1897 & 1902 & 1911 medals thank paul

hi 1314,i see you got kemp book on the met can you up 4 officer warrant numbers for me please.1st pc j wagstaff J division 1902 medal.2nd pc w whybrew T division 1887 medal.3rd pc.f.loftin L.division.1897 & 1902 & 1911 medals & the last one is pc/ps/ps.h irvin G & E division 1897 & 1902 & 1911 medals thank paul

Paul - From Kemp Wagstaff John 80945 enl 20.1.1896 PC J 1897 as PC J 1902 PC J 1911 PC To pension 6.11.1922 from J

Whybrew N/R Whybrow N/R

Loftin Frederick 72861 enl 8.8.1887 PC L 1897 PC L 1902 PC L 1911 PC To pension 12.8.1912 from E

Irvin Henry 75566 enl 14.4.1890 PC X 1897 PC G 1902 PS E 1911 PS To pension 4.11.1918 from E

Regards - 1314

Paul - From Kemp Wagstaff John 80945 enl 20.1.1896 PC J 1897 as PC J 1902 PC J 1911 PC To pension 6.11.1922 from J

Whybrew N/R Whybrow N/R

Loftin Frederick 72861 enl 8.8.1887 PC L 1897 PC L 1902 PC L 1911 PC To pension 12.8.1912 from E

Irvin Henry 75566 enl 14.4.1890 PC X 1897 PC G 1902 PS E 1911 PS To pension 4.11.1918 from E

Regards - 1314

Paul - Kemp is silent on Whybrew.The 1881 Census for 10 Horseferry Rd,Westminster,has William Whybrew b 1849 Essex as a Constable,married,with family- 1314

Guest pikemedals

many thanks 1314 you save a few hours at the n/a in kew.i think kemp book is for officers who joined from 1887.i will get kemp book it very handy to have paul

' The Metropolitan Police,the Men and their Medals " by J H F Kemp seems to have a few holes in it, I did not know this was out until I read this topic. Its a Shame the police orders website went offline for searching. I know the chap that was researching it sadly died but it seems a shame that all that hard work is no longer shared. I did a lot of research a few years back at NSY and the Met museum but only was able to do a fraction of what is needed total electronic versions of Police Orders.

A lot of recently retired officers had the opportunity to rejoin to help police the various Jubilees and Coronations I believe this all stopped after the 1911 Coronation as did the police specific medals. Of course the Second War also saw a return as War Reserves.

' The Metropolitan Police,the Men and their Medals " by J H F Kemp seems to have a few holes in it, I did not know this was out until I read this topic. Its a Shame the police orders website went offline for searching. I know the chap that was researching it sadly died but it seems a shame that all that hard work is no longer shared. I did a lot of research a few years back at NSY and the Met museum but only was able to do a fraction of what is needed total electronic versions of Police Orders.

A lot of recently retired officers had the opportunity to rejoin to help police the various Jubilees and Coronations I believe this all stopped after the 1911 Coronation as did the police specific medals. Of course the Second War also saw a return as War Reserves.

Tom - James Kemp claims to cover almost 33,000 men who joined 1879 to 1911, he admits there will be errors & ommisions which could be brought to his notice at

contact@jhfk.com - 1314

Guest pikemedals

hi all, it a real shame when police orders was close down. i sent them a email to the policeorders web site ( to who run it now) a few months ago to find a officer warrant number to only be told it will cost me 10 pounds per warrant number.what a joke !.who have used the site know how easy it was to find you officer.the gentlenman who done all the hard work for the policeorders web site. he took home a year police orders one at a time from the old met museum and write down all officers details.must of taken him years to do.it a real shame as i know he wanted it to keep going when he was very ill.after he died it was going for some time then it close.they said that medals dealers was using it.to bump up the price for the medals.but did see that myself a well known london dealer selling a pair of met police medals with a printout of policeorders from the site.going back to rejoins.i see rejoins from police orders for 1897 jubilee, 1902 cornation 1911 cornation and many of rejoin for 1912 and the great war and police officers rejoin the arm forces for the boer war and the great war and go back in to the police paul

£10 per search is an outrageous sum especially as the information was collected and I hasten to point out allowed to be researched by the Met in good faith.They closed it down as they felt medal collectors were taking advantage, yet now want to charge £10 per search, hardly seems fair to me. I also know that the biggest police medal collector in the UK has access to that information on disk so it all seems wrong to me.

I no longer collect Police medals as I could not keep up with the deep pockets of certain collectors who were paying crazy prices for any decent groups that were coming on the Market. Also because I know that at least one had access to the Police Orders search facility even though it was taken off line for the rest of us, he was bagging any good groups on eBay and auction before anyone else could research them. I started to collate a lot of info a few years back surrounding Met Long Service medals as well as police officers awarded military service medals for both wars and the Boer War. I did most of the 1950s for the Long Service medals and have started an electronic medal roll but alas a lack of time prevented me from finishing my research.

Maybe I will tidy up what I have done so far and we could start collating info here at GMIC ?

Guest pikemedals

i have many surnames print off from the police orders web site i can look up a officer for anyone on gmic if i got that surname.prices for metropolitan police are crazy i gave up buying them on ebay seeing 30 pounds medals that i can get from dealers list. making 40 to 60 pounds on ebay i saw a 1902 medal to the met making 73 pounds on ebay a few months ago and it was not a dockyard division paul