News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schiessliste - I.Btl./Fußartillerie-Regiment 10

The Prussian

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2010/post-6460-126615959236.jpgHello Gentlemen!

I am looking for the exactly position of the german I.Btl./Fußartillerie-Regiment 10 in the period from the middle of may 1918 and end of june 1918. I need the position, when the bataillon belonged to the 3rd army. It changed from the 2nd army to the 3rd army some time in late may 1918.

The reason because I´m looking for those informations is, thet I´ve got an original attack order indcluding an original transparent paper of the planning of a "Feuerwalze" (to lay upon a map - but the map is missed...). Unfortunately those documents are not dated. One general order about realising a "Feuerwalze" is dated 30th june 1918, the attack orders have earlier order-numbers, so I am sure, the attack was planned before the 30th june. They are all stamped by the 3rd army. And because of the I./Fußart.Rgt 10 changed between mid-may and end-june, I´d like to localize the area that should be attacked.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Thanx, IrishGunner!

As far as I have found in the vol 14 of the "Reichsarchiv", the 3rd army stood in the 2nd half of june northeast of Chalons in preperation the big attack against Reims (they had to clear the south-east area of Reims). Beacuse of the first attacks agains Reims started in mid-july, I think, my documents are "not-executed-plans" in that time (maybe done in july)

Edited by The Prussian

Here's something just to make it even more interesting;

According to "251 Divsions", 1. Abteilung, 10. Fussartl. Regt. 10 (Stab, 1., 3., 4. Batt) were part of the 1. Infantrie Division in 1918.

This source has for the 1. Inf. Div:

19 April - 2 May; south of the Somme

2 May - early July; rest vicinity Peruwelz

early July; in reserve near Hirson

July 16-20; in the line at St. Hilaire

During Reims the 1. Inf. Div. fought near Brois de Vrigney

Of course, there is no reference specifically in this division history; the heavy artillery could have (and probably did) fire in support of other divisions/actions while the 1. Inf. Div was not in the line.

But hopefully this narrows your search down from the 3. AOK level to a narrower area.

Oh yes, I have that book too. But it´s not completely. The Footartillery didin´t belong to the Inf.Div.. They stood unbder diferent commands for several days or weeks. That book isn´t right for my search. I could need the regimentsl history (if there was one published...)

Edited by The Prussian

Damn, the time that must have taken to prepare by hand! :speechless1:

In the early days of my artillery career, we would do target lists and overlays ("measle sheets") by hand, but those were cocktail napkin drawings compared to this... Thankfully, not long after we started using computers and digital communications.

Thanks for sharing this bit of history. :cheers:

Damn, the time that must have taken to prepare by hand! speechless1.gif

In the early days of my artillery career, we would do target lists and overlays ("measle sheets") by hand, but those were cocktail napkin drawings compared to this... Thankfully, not long after we started using computers and digital communications.

Thanks for sharing this bit of history. cheers.gif

Yes, it would not be my work.....

The more I read abozt that period, the more I am sure, that the map is the plan of the attack mof the 15th july. I compared the artillery units on the map with several books. It fits! The 3rd army didn´t fight against Reims, they shot southbound (direction Chalons) to save the 1st armies Marne-passing

There are a few abreviations and terms, that I don´t understand for 100%.....

It would be very difficult, adding the translation in english...

Well, if it isn't a thousand pages, könnte ich vielleicht mit der Übersetzung helfen. :catjava:

And as an artilleryman, I might be able to decipher some of the abbreviations.

Just a thought... :whistle: