News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ORDER OF THE RED COMBAT BANNER

Vatjan

• Replies 283
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have documents but not for this orders. As far as I know this order never being issued. They have being sold by Central Bank of Mongolia as leftovers from communist era.

I am a bit confused here. As for my #3 ORBCV with s/n 60, the seller told me that this order was issued to a russian. For those orders with high SN, they might not be issued. So what range of SN was issued or these numbered orders have never been issued at all?

Guest Rick Research

"For those orders with high SN, they might not be issued. So what range of SN was issued or these numbered orders have never been issued at all?"

That is JUST the sort of question we hope to be able to get answers for here, working among ourselves and comparing issued Orders Books for a serial numbers/awards dates data base.

It would help if we had anybody who could actually read Mongolian, too! :beer:

Am I losing my sanity??

(OK, don't answer THAT.)

Evereything we know, everything I have read, tells us that these things were issued with no number, "2", "3", and "4". Awards through "4". Fair enough.

BUT: In evidence, the famous Choibalsan photo (Battushig p. 20). Unless I cannot count (as I tell my students, there are three kinds of historians, those who can count and those who can't), I count five (5!) OCRBs. Now, I do not see any numbers on any of them. We all know Choibalsan was, well, er, "special", but . . . ???

I was wondering about this very issue myself. I posted a picture in another thread of a highly decorated fellow and where there is definitely something there.

It almost looks like a Roman numeral "II" and if there is enamel surrounding the number it certainly doesn't look like the dark blue enamel we see on the known orders.

ps. I have a slightly larger version of this picture so if you want it I'll gladly email it to you.

Edited by fjcp

Yes, I think this is indeed Jamain Lkhagvasuren. p22 Dr B's book.

He received the Title of Hero of Mongolia posthumously.

He apparantly joined the army at the a very early age by the age of 20 he became a General.

He was very popular among the people, who called him the "Young Commander"

Later on he became Defence Minister from 1960-1970

Here's another older pic of him

:off topic: I know, I know, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

My Combats ser's

ORDER OF COMBAT RED BANNER,1945 1st award ser 1332 type 1

ORDER OF COMBAT RED BANNER TYPE-2 1st award (PIN BACK) ser 3580

ORDER OF COMBAT RED BANNER,1945 #2 ser 85 type 1

ORDER OF COMBAT RED BANNER,1945 #3 ser 125 type 1

I have in my collection:

T1: Screwback - 3 rivets # 50, 704, 1871, 1876, 1974, 2244

2nd award # 12, 98, 224, 248

3rd award # 106, 110, 168

4th award # 86

For cross-checking, and I think there are no new datspoints in what you have listed, but I need to check:

(A 21/M 5.1) -- THE ORDER OF MILITARY VALOR -- (small star, 3 maker?s marks, no s/n); (1926-31)

ORDER OF THE RED BANNER OF MILITARY VALOUR (Baildaani gav'yaany ulaan tugiin odon) (Орден Боевого Красного Знамени) (1931-40)

(A 21.2/M 5.2) -- 1st award: Type 1 (large star, МОНДВОР, s/n No); Low = 188/High = 613

Type 2 (large star, МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР, s/n No); Low = 318/High = ??

(A 21.3) -- 2nd award (large star): Low = ??/High = ??

ORDER OF THE RED BANNER OF MILITARY VALOUR (Baildaani gav'yaany ulaan tugiin odon) (Орден Боевого Красного Знамени) (1940-45)

(A 22.1?/M 6.1) -- 1st award: Type 1.1 (МОНДВОР mintmark; 3 rivets); Low = 110/High = ???Type 1.2 (МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark; 3 rivets); Low= 44/High=212

Type 1.3.1 (МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark; 4 rivets; SN at 6 o'clock near bottom); Low = 306/High = 2401Type 1.3.2 (МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark; 4 rivets; SN directly below screwpost); Low = 1240/High = 2581

(A 22.2)/M 6.2) -- 2nd award: Low = ??/High = ??

(A 22.3/M 6.3) -- 3rd award: Low = ??/High = ??

(A 22.4/M 6.4) -- 4th award: (МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark placement unknown; 4 rivets); Low = 138/High = 150

ORDER OF THE RED BANNER OF MILITARY VALOUR (Baildaani gav'yaany ulaan tugiin odon) (Орден Боевого Красного Знамени) (1945--)

(A 23.1?/M 7.1.1) -- 1st award: Type 1.1 (Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost); Low = 50/High = 2789

Type 1.2 (as above, but with Cyrillic ?B? mintmartk); Low = ??/High = 1901

(A 24.1/M 7.2) -- Type 2.1 (Pinback 3 rivets; SN at 12 o'clock); Low = 3160/High = 4449

(A 24.1/M 7.2) -- Type 2.2 (Pinback 2 rivets; SN at 5 o'clock); Low = 4685/High = 5380

(A 24.2) -- Type 4 (pinback, bronze); Low = 5512/High = 5607

(A 23.2/M 7.1.2) -- 2nd award: Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost; Low = 12 /High = 398

(A 23.3/M 71.3) -- 3rd award: Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost; Low = 6/High = 200

(A 23.4/M 7.1.4) -- 4th award: Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost; Low = 10/

High = 86

Edited by Ed_Haynes

"For those orders with high SN, they might not be issued. So what range of SN was issued or these numbered orders have never been issued at all?"

That is JUST the sort of question we hope to be able to get answers for here, working among ourselves and comparing issued Orders Books for a serial numbers/awards dates data base.

It would help if we had anybody who could actually read Mongolian, too! :beer:

Rick,

A 23.4 ? about 3 or 4 might have been issued

A 23.3 ? about 10 - 15 might have been issued

A 23.2 ? no more than 40 might have been issued

Dolf

For cross-checking, and I think there are no new datspoints in what you have listed, but I need to check

(A 22.4/M 6.4) -- 4th award: (МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР mintmark placement unknown; 4 rivets); Low = 138/High = 150

Mint placement is at 12 o'clock

Edited by vatjan

• 2 weeks later...

Feel silly posting these, as they all kind of look the same, but these are the latest "twins" to come to live with me.

"2" -- 353

"3" -- 161

For teh census. I suspect neither was ever issued.

Ed,

Post the reverses, that's where they are all different :P

Yes, both unisuued.

Dolf

Question:

Do all A 23.1 have that small circle of about the size of a rivet at 12 o'clock? Those with the kind of inverted "B" as well as those that don't have the inverted "B"?

Or are there some A 23.1 that don't have that small circle at 12 o'clock? And if they exist, do they have the inverted "B" or not, or some do and others don't?

Please check your pieces and let me know what you find.

Thanks in advance,

Dolf

My A 23.1 with serial# 715 has neither the circle at 12 nor the inverted B. It just has the serial number at 6 and for the rest it is completely unmarked.

I'll try and post a pic if I can get my camera to work.... :angry:

My A 23.1 with serial# 715 has neither the circle at 12 nor the inverted B. It just has the serial number at 6 and for the rest it is completely unmarked.

I'll try and post a pic if I can get my camera to work.... :angry:

fjcp,

Thanks!

So, A 23.1 exists with the circle at 12 o'clock and without the circle!

Some with the circle also have the kind of inverted "B", some others don't!

A 23.1 #715 of "fjcp" has neither the circle nor the inverted "B".

Does anyone have one without the circle, but WITH the inverted "B"?

By the way, what could this kind of inverted "B" ... be? (no joke intended :off topic::cheeky: )

A mint mark? Why?!... What would be the meaning of it?

A maker's mark? I guess not as this inverted "B" seems to be a stamped mark and I think (just my thoughts, not really sure) that maker's mark are usually hand engraved, right?

Other opinions?

Thanks,

Dolf

fjcp,

Thanks!

So, A 23.1 exists with the circle at 12 o'clock and without the circle!

Some with the circle also have the kind of inverted "B", some others don't!

A 23.1 #715 of "fjcp" has neither the circle nor the inverted "B".

Does anyone have one without the circle, but WITH the inverted "B"?

By the way, what could this kind of inverted "B" ... be? (no joke intended :off topic::cheeky: )

A mint mark? Why?!... What would be the meaning of it?

A maker's mark? I guess not as this inverted "B" seems to be a stamped mark and I think (just my thoughts, not really sure) that maker's mark are usually hand engraved, right?

Other opinions?

Thanks,

Dolf

Inverted "B" stands for in Russian word "ВЕРХ"- TOP. This mark was made to locate proper position of the star for assembling. It's inverted so when you look from front site it looks like normal Russian letter B.

Inverted "B" stands for in Russian word "ВЕРХ"- TOP. This mark was made to locate proper position of the star for assembling. It's inverted so when you look from front site it looks like normal Russian letter B.

Thanks Glenn. Your explanation seems perfectly logical and I guess you're probably right.

Now what I don't understand is why some pieces have this B and some others don't!

In some cases they needed to have it for knowing the proper position for assembling, and in other cases they didn't need it?

And any reason for that small circle at 12 o'clock? Would this also be for the same reason? And if yes, why in some cases they have the circle AND the B, and in other cases neither of these?!

Thanks,

Dolf

ORDER OF THE RED BANNER OF MILITARY VALOUR (Baildaani gav'yaany ulaan tugiin odon) (Орден Боевого Красного Знамени) (1945--)

(A 23.1?/M 7.1.1) -- 1st award: Type 1.1 (Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost); Low = 50/High = 2789

Type 1.2 (as above, but with Cyrillic ?B? mintmartk); Low = ??/High = 1901

(A 24.1/M 7.2) -- Type 2.1 (Pinback 3 rivets; SN at 12 o'clock); Low = 3160/High = 4449

(A 24.1/M 7.2) -- Type 2.2 (Pinback 2 rivets; SN at 5 o'clock); Low = 4685/High = 5380

(A 24.2) -- Type 4 (pinback, bronze); Low = 5512/High = 5607

(A 23.2/M 7.1.2) -- 2nd award: Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost; Low = 12 /High = 398

(A 23.3/M 71.3) -- 3rd award: Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost; Low = 6/High = 200

(A 23.4/M 7.1.4) -- 4th award: Screwback; 3 rivets; SN just below screwpost; Low = 10/

High = 86

• 1 month later...

The best I can do for a close-up. It is in low relief and the scanning of back detail on things with long screw posts always presents, as we all know so well, tremendous depth-of-field problems. May have to drag out the old SLR camear (film . . . ooohhhhh).