News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ORDER OF THE RED COMBAT BANNER

Vatjan

The "B" reverse. Not sure I buy Glenn's "top" explanation.

Since I recently saw one for sale with the inverted "B" at 5 o'clock (sadly I forgot to copy the pic then and can't find it again now :(:blush: ) I also don't know anymore what to think about that! :unsure:

The theory seemed convincing and logical, but now I just don't know!

Well, that one with the "B" at 5 o'clock is the only single piece I've ever seen without the "B" at 12 o'clock (for those pieces who have the "B" of course), so it could have been an error, a mint mistake, who knows.

And after all, just one exception don't makes a rule, but it could help questioning the usual 12 o'clock rule!

Just my 2 cents,

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 283
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the "B" at 5 o'clock on this one, but anyway this specimen has that small circle (also as far as I know always at 12 o'clock) at 5 o'clock! :speechless:

From this pic I'm not 100% sure if it has a "B" somewhere, but apparently no "B"!

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

• 4 weeks later...

A nice A21.2

Number 291 - gilt on screwplate still reasonably intact.

The construction of this award is interesting: 5 rivets... but if you look closer it's made more intricately... there's the base "plate" in front of which are connected the star at top and the center piece of banners, soyombo and wreath... presumably all with rivets... but then on reverse another "plate" is attached (equal in shape to the base plate) which covers these rivets (at least, I am assuming they are there) and this back plate is connected to the base plate with the 5 rivets.

In any case, a beatiful award.

Just looking at collectrussia... they have #318 for sale there. If I may quote:

"Magnificent quality, riveted hollow construction typical of the earliest Soviet awards.

This is an extremely rare 1940 variation with two-word "Monetnyi Dvor" mint mark. The style of mint mark indicates very late production, just before the complete re-design of this decoration in 1940. Coincidentally, that same year "Monetnyi Dvor" mint mark replaced the earlier "Mondvor" at the Soviet mint, therefore pinpointing 1940 as the exact year of manufacture for this specimen.

Most other pieces that we have observed to date had the one-word mint mark. Engraved serial number "318" in characteristic, early Soviet manner."

Well, with my number 291 and also the two-word mintmark we've then just pintpointed this down a bit further:)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks "fixed" to me. There are worse fixed awards on these threads. much as one might "fix" their dog?

When the central device fails and fall off, have the local "craftsman" (term used loosely?) repair?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Looks "fixed" to me. There are worse fixed awards on these threads. much as one might "fix" their dog?

When the central device fails and fall off, have the local "craftsman" (term used loosely?) repair?

Ed,

With the central medallion with the coat of arms completely off center as visible on the obverse pic, and the resoldered rivets as visible on the reverse pic, I suppose it's obvious it was fixed by the local craftsman.

Dolf :cheers:

Ed,

With the central medallion with the coat of arms completely off center as visible on the obverse pic, and the resoldered rivets as visible on the reverse pic, I suppose it's obvious it was fixed by the local craftsman.

Dolf :cheers:

My point precisely!

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Ricky,

Nice one! :beer:

Before Dr. Battushig's book it was usually called Order of RCB (Red Combat Banner). On his book Dr. Battushig calls it Order of the Red Banner of Combat Valor (RBCV)! :unsure:

Dolf