News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ww1 badge (US) found with French pilot badge ?

I have aquired two new badges which have apparently been together since the beginning of time. The first is a French metal pilot badge from 1916, #11708. The second is intriguing and it this I need help with. As can be seen from the attached images it represents a US eagle, holding a sheaf and a ribbon with a readable part of E Pluribus Unum. The shield carries only 5 stars, so it is somewhat stylised. The badge is die-cast so presumably several were made. From the rear it can be seen that it was at one time gilded, though no gilding remains on the front. The hinge to the rear is a European style hinge though the securing rod has obviously come out and a long fine tack exactly like those used to hold aircraft fabric to wooden frames has been inserted and bent over.

I am assuming that these two badges have spent a long time together. I am wondering if it is possible that this small badge (approx 4.5 x 2.5 cm)was an adopted Squadron badge used by US flyers? I have reviewed Bartlett's book thoroughly and it is not to be found there, but there are many squadrons he was not able to confirm badges for and therefore did not illustrate.

Also I have tried to make these images come under 35k each so I can get both in....you can see how small the first one is and still there is no room for the second one.... I am new here... can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I'd love to show you the front too!!

So, has anyone seen this badge before and can anyone tell me unequivocally how it may have been used? Thanks

Chris

oldlincolnian@wwdb.org

Edited by oldlincolnian