News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

West Berlin Polizei

Gordon Craig

Les Art,

Thanks for your comments. Re the NVA campo uniform as used by the DDR Polizei. We have said the same thing but in different words. Your comments on the Schako are also interesting. There are German collectors who say things slightly different so it is interesting to have your point of view.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I must have misread your post on your NVA camo uniform, I read it that the POLIZEI on the back was added after the fall of the wall, which of course was not the case. Sorry for the confusion.

Also on the schako it would be interesting to find out what German Collectors say about it, that you mentioned. The book dates the schako as 1952, that is for the shiny one of course not the ex-Nazi one. I also have to amend my comment on the use of the schako by Bereitschaftpolizei, I have just found a photo showing them wearing it in 1953, so earlier than I had previously discovered. Does this earlier date fall in line with your information.

Regards,

Les

Les,

Some of our German collector collegues believe that the Schako was only worn by the BePo. At least one was police officer of the time period. You'll find that point indicated earlier in this thread by a chap who lived in Berlin and he says he only saw the SchuPo wearing visor caps. I have come across a number of period photos of the Schako in wear by BePo but I have never found a period photo that difinitively shows SchuPo wearing the Schako. I did say earlier here, in a foto that I posted, that the Schako was being worn by SchuPo and helmets by BePo but in retrospec there is nothing in the photo that proves that.

I can not comment on the earliest year of wear as I am away from my library (on holidays) at the moment but I'll look things up when I get home at the end of the month.

Regards,

Gordon

• 7 years later...
    Guest angus1235

I bought a mantel, believing it may be a wartime Luftwaffe one, however it has a few indiscrepancies. It has only one button hole along the right breast, no button holes on the quarter belt (buttons are just sewn into place) and the shoulder boards have no waffenfarbe and are stitched into the uniform.

It is identical in colour to wartime luftwaffe wool, has genuine silk sleeve linings, is manufactured by Karl Heisler, Berlin, and is fully lined in stone grey cashmere.

It'sIt's quite confusing, the only explanation I can think is that it's bereitschaftpolizei, since they appear to have similar colour scheme and be based in berlin, however the boards are not of polizei style.

I'm aware this is an old post, but I can't find info or photos anywhere else.

Screenshot_20170925-200124.jpg

20171001_105716.jpg

20171001_110244.jpg

20171001_110125.jpg

angus 1235,

I can help you with this if it is ok with you in what I propose.  The best place to post these pictures would be in the Wehrmach Awards Forum on the Police and Civil Organizations sub forum.  http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62  You can not post pictures there unless you are a paid member but I can post the pictures for you if that is ok with you.

Regards,

Gordon