News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was a little disappointed that no-one could help to identify the officer in my tipstaff posting - would have been nice to know why he carried such a rare item ? However - onwards and upwards - these are also rare, but more identifiable.

Cartoons and caricatures of your enemy , or, least favourite politician - have been around for many hundreds of years. I have a number well over two hundred years old and will post them one day - I bet Leigh will have some to add ?

Meanwhile, these date between 1900 and 1902 and were envelopes intended for the troops to send their letters back home. You will note that there is space on each one for an address. They would not have required stamps. I think they are very clever, since they bring home to the families what the troops thought of the 'enemy'. Unfortunately, they have quite a lot of ' foxing' - but at 110 years old and a humid climate that is expected.

What we find here in Germany are very many Pro boer propaganda cards... some of really fantastic quality.

Also very interesting are all the Pro Boer propaganda books... although some are also very objective histories as well...

Here are 2 pages to feat your eyes on....

http://www.kaiserscross.com/60401/157764.html

at some stage I will have time to get that section up and running....

Thanks, Mervyn - very interesting. I see they bear the initials/monogram of Sir John Tenniel, who was a cartoonist for Punch and also the original illustrator of Alice in Wonderland. By the time of the Anglo-Boer war he was 79 years old, but evidently hadn't lost his touch.

What we find here in Germany are very many Pro boer propaganda cards... some of really fantastic quality.

Also very interesting are all the Pro Boer propaganda books... although some are also very objective histories as well...

Here are 2 pages to feat your eyes on....

http://www.kaiserscross.com/60401/157764.html

at some stage I will have time to get that section up and running....

I saw a whole load of these for auction the other day, all were coloured postcards and look great. I think they were priced in GBP.

I hope you'll post more Mervyn when you get the chance, they're very interesting.

Tony