News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Police History Reference Website

GMIC are sponsoring and helping to set up a new reference website which will concentrate specifically on the history of the Metropolitan Police and other British Police Forces. It will be linked to GMIC so that any topics can be discussed here within this section but the site which will be essentially be independent of GMIC in how it is run. The site will be a reference resource for collectors and researchers and will contain historic references as well as material to assist researchers and collectors alike. To help set up the website I have been asked to raise whether any member would be willing to contribute any articles or stories which can be supported by factual dates/evidence/photos etc which may be of interest to Police collectors and researchers. Any article contributed will be acknowledged to the author and as a trade off any advertising relating to police related books, websites or commercial interests with a police link will be freely applied in banner form at the bottom of the relevant pages.

I am taking a leading roll in the technical aspects of building and running the website to support the owner.

More details will follow soon but I do think this will be a very interesting development and help build up even more police collector members here at GMIC.

I look forward to the new website and am happy to help if I can. I have made some progress with recording Metropolitan Police Jubilee and Coronation Medals and the basic details of service of their recipients (in book form - The Metropolitan Police, The Men And Their Medals). I also have much of this information already on line in a database. Good luck with your project.

Just a quick update the new police website is taking shape but a little more slowly than I would like. To help get it off to a quicker start I am looking for some material to publish on the website. If anyone has any police historical articles or police collectible articles they wish to have published on the website please contact me by PM. Areas that need support are collectables other than medals and County forces/Special Constabulary. All material provided will be attributed/copyrighted to the author but with the agreement that there are unrestricted publishing rights.

• 3 weeks later...

Nick - these ref.'s for the met. police official Arms may be of some use for the new Forum. Should they not be clear enough I can send by email or, photo.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2010/post-6209-127099132356.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2010/post-6209-127099132356.jpg

Sorry -pressed twice...

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 2 weeks later...

Post 1967 plaque

Hi Mervyn,

BEAUTIFUL plaques. In hindsight, I wish I had had more of an interest when I was stationed in England with the USAF for SIX YEARS!jumping.gif I would have an AWESOME collection now.

Ed

Edited by speagle

Cheers Mervyn

I have a few bits and pices and I can utilise those thanks. The website is coming along but as always not enough time in the day, so it is a little slower than anticipated, will update you soon.

• 2 months later...

Nick - since Rod has brought this back to the top - I have been thinking of adding a full uniform and bi-corn hat for a Met. Asst. Commissioner to my threads on old uniforms.(1920 to perhaps still in use in 1960) Could you perhaps use it for publicity , as you mention earlier ? Otherwise, I will just post it on our sub-Forum. Mervyn

• 5 months later...

I didn't know whether any progress had been made with setting up this new Police History Reference site but I thought that one useful source of information is the Police Almanacs. These list the senior officers in the various forces and can prove invaluable if you are trying to trace the careers of specific officers.

These are absolutely of no use whatsoever if you are looking for PCs, PSs and sometimes even Inspectors but can prove invaluable to find some more senior officers. I have access to a few copies including the 1951 edition, which is a key source for locating men who earned the Police Exemplary Service Medal with the GVI head. I would be prepared to work on producing a list of the officers and their forces if the site got up and running.

Edited by Odin Mk 3